Taking Over {9}

Malea's POV
"One coffee brewed to 202 degrees Fahrenheit. Black, no sugar or Creme and a Cinnamon biscotti." I dropped the tall coffee cup along with the biscotti on the table and grinned at my accomplishment.

Lucian looked up from his iMac and glared at me impassively. "You're 3 minutes late and I don't have time to eat a biscotti. Throw it away." He took a sip of the coffee and grimaced. Slowly, he took the lid off the coffee cup and looked inside. "Where'd you get this from?"

"The cafe down the street. The one called Homemade Love." I shifted my weight from one foot to the other, annoyance slowly seeping into me.

Lucian sighed deeply and set the coffee cup down. "That place has the worst coffee I've ever tasted. How could you have not know this?"

"Well maybe you should've given me a heads up! I don't drink coffee so how should I know?" I snapped. Coffee always gave me a headache whenever I drank it or even smelled it, so I avoided it as best as I could even though Ales loves coffee. Ever since Ales moved in with me, all she drank was coffee and it increasingly became harder to stay away from it. The only hot beverage I drink is tea.

"Since you apparently cannot do anything right, I'll ask Tanya to get me another cup." He spat harshly. I glared at him. Is this how he always is to his employees? He opened up a cabinet and brought out several files. "Deliver these to the directors of the sales and marketing in room 1009."

I ground my teeth together. "Is that all, Mr. King?" I spat through closed teeth.

His gray eyes flicked back up to me, the violet flecks in them catching the light. Lucian clenched his jaw together and I watched as a muscle flexed."Listen Malea. We're all friends here. Don't hate me because I'm doing my job as CEO. I am the boss and you are the employee, we have to act professionally. Don't think that because we know each other outside of work, I'll treat you differently from my other employees."

"You've got to be fucking kidding me right now." I breathed incredulously. "You honestly are the most conceited person I've ever met."

An eerie calm passed over his features. His nostrils flared. I could tell he was holding back the urge to snap at me."I will not take this type of disrespect from you, Malea." He lowered his voice. "Just because you are guaranteed a job here because of the contract doesn't mean I can't find ways to change the game. Remember, Ma chére. This is my game and you are all my pawns. One misstep, and its game over."

______Malea's POV( 1 day later)

I crashed onto my bed at 2:15 am, fatigue overwhelming my body. It's no joke being an assistant to one of the richest men in the world. I literally have been in the elevator over 100 times trying to get and receive everything Lucian asked of me.

It's so odd having the apartment all to myself now. Before I became Lucian's assistant, I would've never been able to afford the apartment on my own but now, with the paycheck I just earned by working 14 hours with 3 hours break total, the apartment rent was nothing but a little part of what I earned.

I was drifting off to sleep when I heard the chorus of one of my favorite songs blast loudly from the bedside table. I jumped up and grumbled angrily as I picked up my phone. It was an unknown number.

"Hello? Whoever this is, I hope your happy with yourself for waking me up from my 30minute nap when I planned it to be more than 8 hours."