Waterworks {20}

Malea's POV

It was almost like time was in slow motion. My heart pounding restlessly as betrayal and hurt began to sink in. My legs felt like they were engulfed in a pit of quicksand, unable to be set free.

It was as if time was in slow motion as I saw Levi jump up from the bed and quickly wrap himself with a towel, his face and body flushed from being caught and the fact that he'd been caught right in the middle of his unfaithful acts.

It was as if time was in slow motion when Levi called out my name. "Malea. Come back! I can explain!"

I hadn't even realized that I was running now, and I didn't cry as I ran because I wouldn't like Levi to know that he made me hurt in such a way that feels irreversible. I was running away from the mess Levi had made. I was running away from him and his lies. I was running away from the only man that I thought loved me. The only man I'd ever called my boyfriend. Now I was running away from the first man I'll ever call my ex-boyfriend.

I didn't know where I was going. I slammed my car door shut and sped out of his driveway. How could Levi do this to me? I need to talk to someone. I need my best friend. I need Ales right now. I didn't even realize that I was now at her and Lucian's estate and I drove into the driveway and rushed to the front door.

Tears brimmed in my eyes but I told myself I wouldn't cry over a disgusting man who couldn't keep it in his pants. I pressed the bell, wanting Ales to open it and welcome me. I need my best friend right now.

The door opened and instead of Ales, Lucian stood there. He only had on a pair of jeans but other than that, he was shirtless, his hair unkempt but looking artfully messy. He wasn't who I expected to see, but I didn't mind.

***
Lucian's POV

She looked like she wanted to cry. Her eyes were red and it looked like if she blinked again, her tears would begin flowing and wouldn't stop. Why did she look like she wanted to cry? It hurt me to see her like that.

"Is Ales home?" She choked out, her voice strangled with unshed tears.

I shook my head, no, and stepped aside so she could come in. She hesitated, but came in regardless. She turned to face me, but her eyes still flitted down to my bare chest.

"What's wrong, Malea?" I asked, wanting to close the distance between us.

She shook her head and pressed the heels of her palms to her eyes. Her skin was flushed from the struggle of keeping her tears at bay. "Nothing's wrong."

"I can tell when something's wrong and something is definitely wrong here." I said strongly, gripping her forearm in concern.

She removed her hands and then her resolve crumpled. Tears began flowing from her eyes and sobs wracked her body. Instantly, I had her wrapped in my arms, welcoming her cries.

Her head was placed on my chest, warm rivulets of tears wetting my chest. I placed my head on hers, wrapping her tighter. "You'll be okay, love." I whispered into her hair. Our hearts beat as one, each breath I take in unison with her and all I wanted to do was stay there to comfort her.

And I did. She cried for over thirty minutes in my arms while be both sat curled up on the couch. I couldn't leave her alone. I wouldn't. And once she was stable enough to talk, she began telling me what had happened, her head still on my chest.