8.

I arrive as late as my compulsive punctuality allows me to.

The Great Hall is already crowded. The Negotiator shakes hands and smiles while the General checks ways out and security's weak points.
If I were a terrorist, this would be the perfect place. A thermal detonator there, and goodbye Senate. It surely would hit tomorrow holonews.

What is worst, I don't even know if I should fear more a Separatists' strike or a Republic fanatics' one. Windu is right; all is going crazy. Despite this, these people keep on drinking, laughing and playing politics as they've always done. To them, war is just a word to convince others of their reasons.

Last months made me bitter. It's not my job to judge this.

I notice Padme's massive hairdo not far from me. She's passionately talking with a bunch of Senators, moving hands with grace to underline her words. Her audience is absorbed, equally fascinated by her speech and by her beauty.

I feel like Bantha shit just looking at her.

Finding Anakin is easy. He stands ten steps away, hands laced behind his back, eyes on her.

I must be absorbed too because Organa's voice makes me wince. "Terrific, isn't she?"

He must have been following my gaze.

"She's as beautiful as she's intelligent," I answer, stroking my beard.

"We all lost our head over her, at some point. Anyway, when did you arrive? I've heard that the Campaign has been successful."

"It's true though it took more than expected; we came back just a couple of days ago. Coruscant has changed in my absence."

"Indeed, tense atmosphere. In spite of this, many insist on keeping their eyes closed. They will realise there's a war only when it will come to their doormat."

Organa goes on talking, but I'm not listening anymore; Anakin's smile is making my stomach flip.

He reaches us and coldly greets Organa, his eyes obstinately fixed on mine. "I recommend not hanging around with Master Kenobi, Senator. He steals all the girls."

A withering silence before Organa gets the message.

"I will follow your advice, I can't afford the risk," he says before leaving.

"You've been rude," I whisper when we're alone.

"Who cares, I can't stand that prick. Did you talk to Yoda?"

"Did you?"

His hand moves nonchalantly. "What did he say, are you leaving me?"

"It's not about leaving you, you know."

"But are you?"

Anakin stands too close, invades my personal space to affirm himself, or just because he knows the effect his presence has on me. He feels that he has lost ground last time we talked, therefore, will do all he can to overcome me.

Padme got free from her fellows and is coming to us. She takes my hands in hers affectionately.

"Obi-Wan, how long!" Then, taking a step back to seize me. "You look so..."

I manage to interrupt her, "Please, don't say that".

For a moment, she's surprised by my afflicted tone, then amused. "I won't say it. I promise".

Her smile would melt stone, and I dearly wish I was somewhere else.

Anakin's grin, on the other side, is ghastly. He's enjoying my embarrass and her blindness too much.