23.

"Take that thing off," says Anakin when the comm call ends.

Not the occasion I had in mind, but I wanted to say it so badly.

I sense this loud and clear, and it may be that I blush.

After a take-off that had got me nostalgic for pirate's blasters, Aurra Sing joined Ahsoka's guards in their cell. Anakin just came up to tell us her story.

Her employers needed weapons and explosive, Ohnaka provided them, and Aurra made the link. She's been travelling between Palawa and Dolomar for weeks. Good pay, easy job.

Aurra used to meet a bunch of Bounty Hunters in the middle of the jungle - no army in sight though the stuff she was smuggling was definitely enough for one. She overheard them discussing the Temple District more than once.

At some point, Aurra decided she deserved some extra credits and started keeping for herself a small part of what she was carrying. Those goods always find a buyer; she found hers in our Corellian terrorists.

This has been her false step; the blasters could have been coming from anywhere but Dolomar explosive univocally linked all the players.
During the last exchange, Palawa guys were willing to terminate their working relationship in the most radical way, because of her cheat and even more because it was leading the Republic straight to them.
Aurra managed to escape, and here we are.

"I'm all right, no need," I answer to Anakin.

"Snips, tell him."

Ahsoka spins around her seat to face us. "Sorry Skyguy, I made a vow to stay out of your quarrels."

She's been apologising for her kidnapping since we left.

"Bleeding is not getting us to Coruscant earlier, Obi." Anakin huffs.

Ahsoka and I share an amused look at his slip.
Anakin scowls, attempting to look outraged more than embarrassed.

"I'm convinced, Ani," I mock him, stressing this last word as much as I can.

Ashoka snorts, earning another of Anakin's reproving glares.

I start undressing my upper body. Whenever my right arm moves, it hurts like hell.
Anakin sighs and takes the scissors from the Healer's box to cut my clothes. Then, he cautiously starts unsticking them from the wound. This takes an impossible amount of time and is not nearly as fun as it sounds.

His frown deepens when the blaster burn is finally exposed - it's too near to my collarbone, all I can see is a blurred red crater.

"Whoa. That shot was close." Ahsoka grimaces. "Expressing pain is not dishonourable, Master."

"Stop squirming," orders Anakin, placing a hand on my waist to keep me still as he applies the bandage.

My hurting doesn't spare me the usual inner stir caused by his touch.

He has finished with me, and I should be dressing back, but his hand is still on my flank. I look down at it, and he abruptly takes it away.

Ahsoka is studying us with a worrying smile.

When we contacted him, Windu said Palawa was deserted when they got there; Aurra had blown up their secrecy, and the Separatists left, probably to haste in whatever they were preparing.
By any means, our discoveries allowed the CSF to patrol and evacuate the Temple surroundings.

This thought comforts us a little when, just before our arrival, we receive news about several explosions and a large-scale attack in the area.

I tell Anakin that I'm alerting our Commanders, and slightly lower my voice to add that he should check on Padme.

He gives me a slightly perplexed nod.

"Shall we land directly where the mess is?" Asks Ahsoka.

"No," answers Anakin. "We have prisoners to consign, and Obi-Wan isn't coming."

He hushes me before I can reply, "I saw you with Hondo's men. You can't use your 'saber arm properly, and you can't face a battle."

I can't believe it.

"We're in the exact situation I've been warning you against," I state.

Ahsoka is intently staring at her knees, so I add that this isn't the right moment.

Anakin is too warmed up to listen. "Trust my judgement, for once. Not everything I do is driven by kniffing attachment!"

"Then do not act like it is!"

"For Force's sake." Ahsoka stands up, her small figure somehow towering over us. "Padawans do what their Masters ask. As for you, your ranks are equal, and you're both adults, could we agree each one decides for himself?"

She sustains our astonished stares without blinking. "This said, if you ask me, Obi-Wan's shoulder is bad enough to suggest he finds a Healer before doing anything else."

Ahsoka ignores my gape and prepares our landing with pursed lips.

"I hope someone else will save the Republic, today, because you two are a train wreck," she mutters.

They run away the moment we step down the ship.

The area around the Temple is ablaze and the Temple itself, usually so quiet and composed, is frenzied.
I take care of delivering our prisoners, but my eyes can't leave the windows showing my city burning.

Pain is just pain. Arm works.

I tentatively move it and cry under my breath.

I'm still pondering whether to join the battle or not when I sense the faint scent of a Signature I know.
It vanishes if I try to reach for it and comes back when I'm about to give up.
We're playing chase, and it keeps getting closer.

I stand still and close my eyes; people run around me like a river around a rock.
Then, I take lifts and climb stairs until I reach the terrace underneath the Northwestern Tower.

My guest is coming down from a Rogue Starfighter.
She's a tall Chiss female wearing a uniform, cold and sharp like rough durasteel.
I've read reports about her. Dooku's cub.

"So, it is you," she declares with an aloof smirk.

A terrible explosion makes the Temple below us tremble.
The wind carries synthetic smoke, the sky is orange with flames.

"War is art. One must always take pride in a well-executed job," she says to the blazing city. Then, piercing at me head to toes. "Shouldn't General Kenobi be fighting among his men?"

"Shouldn't General Tann?"

"I had to see for myself that the Negotiator and the pathetic clump of self-loathing I sensed on Palawa were the same individuals." Her red eyes glow brighter. Tann sneers with conceit. "Self-hatred fuels the Dark Side as well, you know? Jedi worship the Sun and despise the shadows it casts. It isn't Darkness, but the fear of it, that will destroy you."

She's mocking me, and hitting near the bone too, but I can't help enjoying her pristine arrogance. I guess she reminds me of someone.

"The struggle to pursue Light is endless," I admit. "It requires strength and endurance, where all the Dark Side asks for is abandon. I can't understand why someone so fierce and gifted should enslave herself to a cause that is not even hers."

"I appreciate the chance of practising my art. Killing Jedi is just an extra benefit, though I confess I tend to relish it a bit too much."

"Speaking of which," I answer. "I'm afraid it's time to turn this pleasant chat into something more physical."

"Desolate, Kenobi," she genuinely sounds regretful. "Next time. Duty comes first."

I have doubts I can beat her using my left. Engaging her today is, at least, reckless.

"Teased and denied," I remark.

"That will only increase the final pleasure."