35.

A few hours later, I'm heading toward the infirmary. Besides me walks the woman I just had sex with, and never touched once.

"I asked Anakin not to come," she says. "We're better than him, at this."

Not something I would wear on my sleeve.

"I thought about it, Padme. I can't ask a Knight to lie to the Council."

"Good thing I can, then. Just stay there and be as Master Kenobi as possible."

When we enter the room, Shaali raises her blue eyes from her holopad.
She's half-sitting on her bed. Two long blond braids and an infirmary gown in place of the Jedi attire make her look like a child. The attempt to straighten up makes her grimace.

"No need to pull your stitches out," I say. "I just wanted to express my appreciation for what you did. Truly remarkable."

The girl's simper boosts my self-loathing.

Padme touches her shoulder lightly. "I'm so relieved to see you're better. You saved my life, Shaali. If there's something you need..."

"It was my duty, Madam." The girl frowns and looks down at her own lap. "Actually, to be bold... I could use a word with Master Kenobi."

Padme throws me a meaningful glance. "Of course, dear. It makes perfect sense, and it's easily done. I'll be waiting outside."

When we're left alone, Shaali gives the impression she's already regretting her request. "I'm afraid there's no tactful way to say this, Master Kenobi... What they told on the news is not what-"

"The footage I saw was clear enough, Shaali. Still, I appreciate your concerns and discretion. In fact, Senator Amidala came here to demand you to confirm the official version."

"And what are you here for, instead?"

A straight shooter. I like it.

The girl profits from my bafflement to ponder me. Eventually, her mouth curls in a sly smile. "Your line here was: 'to commend you on your exceptional courage and make sure you were fine, young one.'"

"I must've lost the script... what's next?"

"Master Kenobi sits on the bed and takes the Knight's hand. 'I need you to cover for my former Padawan,' he says, 'because I must take care of his troubles personally. Do this for me, Shaali.' His eyes are so persuasive that all the poor girl can do is comply."

I find myself smirking. "I don't like the way I look in this piece.

"Trust me, the one where you denounce Master Skywalker to the Council makes you look worse... you can call Senator Amidala back if we're done rehearsing."

"We're missing the part where I thank the young Knight."

"Let's keep that for the sequel." Shaali grins.

On our way back, Padme doesn't bother to conceal she's studying me.

"You're troubled," she concludes. "If it's about Anakin, be assured we'll find a way to bring him back on track together... Is there something else I might help you with, my friend?"

Without looking at her - I just can't anymore - I refer what she could do for Satine.

Padme nods and says she and Bail will meet the Ruling Council in the afternoon.

"If someone understands what that woman has to face every day," she adds. "It's me."

Then, she reveals they need another day in Sundari to take care of the original reason that brought them here.
I don't ask further, and she doesn't tell - if I know them, it has to do with the word 'coup' and Mandalore's potential support on it. We seem to agree a Jedi better not know too much on the matter.