17.

Padme takes my arm and leads me away, lightly pulling me downward so that I can hear her whispering.

"That meeting left me longing for a walk." Her eyes smile with her lips, this time.

I attempt to smile back. "As you wish, Senator. We could pass through the gardens."

I wait until we are far enough from Windu before resuming the conversation. "What brought you here today?"

She sighs. "The Senators are freaking out over the Embassy attack. They have no problems dealing with casualties on the Outer Rim, but suddenly lose their composure when it becomes evident that war is here as well. Our enemies are hoping to scare us into making a false step. It would be wise to cool off before deciding anything."

Padme slows down to look at me, pondering how much of her thoughts she can reveal. "As bad as it seems, Separatists are not the only ones that might profit from our panic if we rush the Senate into hasty decisions. The Council has just agreed to formalise Jedi roles into Senate protection; Master Windu asked me to bring the proposal to the Supreme Chancellor's attention. They plan to assign us younger Knights or even Padawans, as the majority of you are already fulfilling your duties on the battlefield. Even so, I admit that having Jedi looking after you sounds reassuring. There is little doubt many will see it this way."

She makes sure I grasp her allusions before continuing, "However, with all due respect, I'm not convinced that granting the Order even more powers would be advisable. In the name of war and emergency, we keep confusing roles among the Republic; this could easily lead to dramatic consequences. Don't get me wrong, please, you know I'm usually partial to the Order and consider it essential to war. Though, my dear Obi-Wan, power is power. Even the Jedi may get drunk on it."

Padme looks into the distance as we approach the gardens, asking herself if she should have kept her mouth shut.

"Not all Jedi are Obi-Wan Kenobi," she concludes gravely.

And nor are they all Anakin Skywalker.

I suppose she would stop considering me an example of Jedi morality if she knew what I did to her man just a few hours ago.
Amazing how every single word of this last thought is disturbing.

'Tell her,' he said. I try devising how this would change the three of us or at least her expression, with poor results.

Eventually, I just say that, regardless of it being accurate or not, her opinion of the Order's integrity saddens me.

Padme seems genuinely worried about my sickened expression. "I apologise if I offended you, that wasn't my intention. Politics has made me cynical. I wish I could stop seeing corruption everywhere."

Hurting my feelings sincerely concerns her. I find myself counting the steps that are separating us from the Temple entrance.

"Yours are justified concerns," I finally respond. "I'm not so ingenuous to believe all Jedi are spotless, and I agree that the Senate should use great caution when granting extraordinary powers - to anyone. Nevertheless, a living Senator is certainly better than a dead one."

"I'll take it that you still prefer us alive like a good sign," Padme answers with a smile.

We reach the small wooden bridge, and she stops to watch the stream that runs beneath us.

I restrain my newly found impatience and wait by her with my hands laced behind my back.

She looks tired, but worries only add depth to her eyes.
The graceful girl I met ten years ago has bloomed into a beautiful, complex, and intriguing woman.

I wonder why I'm so often compelled to envision her in Anakin's arms. Perhaps, it's the hope that the pain of it may cure me.

She turns her head and catches me staring.

"You look fatigued," I promptly explain.

"I am. This war is wearing me out. I'm always in the spotlight and must assess every word, every move. In spite of this, it seems the more I fight, the less I obtain."

She exhales in frustration. "I can't believe I'm complaining about the war to you. All I do is talk and attend events, you risk your life every day."

"Each of us plays his part; there is no use comparing." I idly stroke my beard. "Besides, you forget that last night attack demonstrated Senators' lives are at risk too."

"Typical understated Obi-Wan. You're the one exhausted by right; you just arrived, and you're already leaving again." Her melancholic voice showcases her real thoughts. "These missions must be taking a heavy toll on you both, you've been so busy lately... Now the Temple requires your presence day and night; it just seems too much."

Don't worry. This night he's all yours. Tied at two, seems fair enough.

Padme bites her lip, evaluating my lack of reaction.

"Knowing you're looking after each other is comforting, so I'd rather see you leaving together." Her conduct is perfectly serene, despite her fingers turning white as she clasps the wooden handrail. "Is there anything I should know, Obi-Wan?"

"Anakin needs a break," I answer in a single breath. "We should separate for a while."

We stare at each other, both trying to seize what has been left unsaid. When Padme states that she's sure I have my reasons, her expression is difficult to read.

"I should go, I've already taken too much of your time with my futile ranting," she finally says, walking ahead of me to reach the other side of the bridge.

Editing: CoreWorlds