19.

Flying away from Coruscant feels incredible.
Being on my own never bothered me, and a ghost planet allows me not see anyone for hours.

Over the short trip there, I even manage to have some connection with the Force. This fills me with new hopes. I convince myself that what I can't cope with is left behind.
As Quinlan said, these infatuations are common; there's nothing out of the ordinary.
I will find a way to get out of this cliché and be myself again. I just need to elude Anakin for a while.

Approaching Palawa, I scan its surface for anything that may suggest recent sentients' presence.
My guess is that Bounty Hunters choose this place as a convenient temporary base in reason of its proximity to Coruscant and its limited interest to anyone.

All I see from here is foliage and sporadic ruins half swallowed by it. My instruments detect life signs though they may easily belong to animals.
I'm overflying the broad brown river that leads to the capital city remains when R4 alerts a power coupling overload.

"We shall land in that clearing over there," I say, inwardly cursing Quin for his brilliant advice to use this piece of junk instead of my Starfighter.

Our landing is rough, though still better than many I've had with Anakin.

My first step on the wet, dark grass is sufficient enough to make me uneasy. The unnatural silence and the tree walls enclosing us feel threatening.
Clean air should be overwhelming after Coruscant's pollution; instead, the honeyed smell of flowers and decomposing leaves only makes me think of death.

R4 has already opened the right panel, freeing a puff of smoke.

I reach her, and we discouragedly look at what's inside. It doesn't look like something that suffices a quick repair.

"Did you check it before leaving?" I enquire.

The indignant beeping answer I receive gets even louder when I ask whether she can fix it.

I sigh and thank Quin once more for this damn armour, which makes me feel like an idiot, and this helmet, whose most prominent feature is causing the wearer to drown in his own sweat.
I bless the maker for its built-in cooling system and flick a switch on my wrist console, just to learn that the Galaxy doesn't want to cut me a break.

"Shavit," I audibly swear, making R4 turn her head to me.

I stuff the helmet back on with much regret.

Most landings have been recorded around the city area. I resolve to reach my original destination anyway. All I have to do is follow the water trickling and proceed up the river.

Struggling through the lush vegetation gives me plenty of time to realise that, the more I advance, the stronger my bad feeling gets. Ruins increase at the same rate.
Temples and buildings are transfigured by their encounter with the jungle. Plants engulf stones, move pilasters, break through roofs. The resulting green and grey hybrid makes it evident that living matter is going to win its battle against dead one.
Greenery will devour anything in its path, and this transmits a subtle feeling of menace.

The broken engine eventually proves itself useful. My detour makes me practically stumble in what remains of a small camp along the river.
A few yellow grass squares on the ground, where tents were, and a small circle of blackened stones in the middle, where the fire was lighted. About a week old, judging by the grass colour.

The sun has reached its peak. I protect my eyes with a hand and raise them to the Jogan-bats' silhouettes shadowing it, wondering if this is what I was looking for.

The unsettling sensation that is following me since my arrival persuades me to proceed.

All I see beyond the city walls is an eerie expanse of relics.
Everything feels out of place, and I distressfully realise how my perception of the Dark Side changed over last days.

To me, it has always stood out on Light, so alien and discordant it was impossible to miss. Today, it still feels obnoxious, yet a small, remote part of me resonates with it, leaving me disconcerted.
My Darkness has raised to the surface, attracted by Anakin's own like by a magnet.

The Darkness of this place clouds my sight. Nonetheless, this dreadful, newly discovered bit of me is still able to see. I let it in charge for an instant, and what appeared like an abandoned, deserted city reveals its secrets. Footprints and tracks in every alley, a trail of smoke crossing the sky, noises, voices.
Once the veil is raised, there's no coming back.

The moment I understand I'm using the Dark Side to reach what's hidden, my heart starts racing, and I step back in awe.
I squat behind a wall to regain my calm, attempting to make sense of what's before me.

A Force concealment this big requires skill, strength and motivation. We're not talking of Bounty Hunters anymore.

I sneak closer to the rubbled Temple that seems to be the centre of most activities and hear the familiar sounds of every military encampment. Climbing an adjacent building, I see there's a small army in there: soldiers, battle droids, even a couple of MTT.

The officials wear Separatists' uniforms, while the soldiers have sparred clothes and armours, not differing from mine.

The Dark Signature glowing below the Temple tastes rough. Someone aware of his skills, but only prizing them as functional instruments.
Haughty and humble at the same time; he considers himself a soldier, more than a Dark Acolyte.

I take pics with my holocamera and decide that all I can do is return to my ship and inform the Council.

When I'm back, R4 has done her work, and we are ready to leave.

On board, I set my route to Coruscant and send my images to Windu.

I can't stop thinking about what allowed me to see behind Darkness' curtains.
My first impulse is to discuss my troubles with Yoda, the way I've always done since my Master's death. This time is different, though. I can't describe what's happening to me leaving out Anakin, and I don't want Yoda to get alarmed or even worst, to take measures against him.
Moreover, there's no way I'm briefing him about the recent developments in my relationship with my former Padawan.

I lean back on the seat and close my eyes.
I should worry more about what I found in that temple and less about how I managed to see it. An army, just outside Coruscant, and someone with enough strength in the Dark Side to hide a whole encampment.
Among the Separatists, the only individual I know who has the power to accomplish this is Dooku, and that undoubtedly didn't feel like him.

I'm reflecting on this when I receive Anakin's call.
The sight of his face is enough to make me sigh in discontent.

"Master."

"General Skywalker."

Even our greetings have grown awkward.

He enquires about my whereabouts, looking tense. Then, he remains silent, forcing me to ask what in the Galaxy he needs.

"We're on Dolomar. Quin's track regarding the explosive led us here. You should come too."

"Ask the Council to send you someone," I huff. Then, thinking about it. "Did you say 'we'?"

"Ahsoka and I. Don't make me beg, just come. It's a long story, and you're nearer than anyone at the Temple. Don't tell the hangar who you are when landing; I made that mistake already. See you at Diflu market in an hour. Bring a coat."

His image disappears and, when I call him back, there's no answer.
I stare at the cockpit for a whole minute, breathing slowly and deep to avoid losing my temper.

Anakin looked distressed, despite his usual irritating attitude. On the other hand, I suppose he would have told me what's wrong, if it was something serious.
I can ignore his call, and let what I feel get in the way of my duty again. Or I can reach him, with identical results. Either way, I lose.

I inform the Council of where I'm headed and change my route, letting my instinct - or maybe my heart - guide me.

Blast, as far as I know, it could even be some other part of my body.