Grey

After we got tired of swimming, we layed on the sandbar and just talked.

"Color?" Ethan asked.

"Black" I answered.

"Mysterious?"

"Basic."

"Can you tell me why you're so weird," Ethan asked. I gave him a hurt-sarcastic look and he laughed.

"Sorry, I meant unique," he said.

I rolled my eyes, "what exactly are you asking Dolan?"

He blushed, "I don't know. Just tell me something.. like.. how well do you sleep at night? Do you eat a lot or are you one of those chicks that don't ever hardly eat? Just let me in, let me know that you trust me."

I looked down at my feet in the water,

"I'm neither," I said quietly biting my lip.

"What?" He asked.

I could feel my eyes sting as I realized that I did trust him enough, I just didn't want to open up because I've always been the strong one and here I was about to cry trying to answer a question.

"I'm neither." I said louder, "I either eat too much or starve myself, sleep for 14 hours or have insomniac nights, I fall in love very hard or hate passionately. I don't know what grey is. I never did."

*Ethan's POV*

I looked into her tearfelt eyes and, for once, saw her for what she was and not what I wanted her to be. I just couldn't be who I normally was with her, she didn't deserve that. I could never give her what she deserves. I stood up and helped her up. We rode back to where the uber was supposed to pick us up, but it wasn't there.

I took out my phone and called Grayson.

*Maddi's POV*

"Damn it Grayson. Fine I guess we'll just stay out here all night then," I heard Ethan arguing on the phone. He finally hung up, pushing his phone into his pocket.

"Well. Are you up for some camping?" Ethan asked smiling.

"Not really. I've been wearing the same clothes for two days and I need a shower," I told him.

"I'm sorry Madz. The uber broke down on the way back and Grayson hooked up with some girl, he won't be here until later," he responded apologetically.

"It's alright E, I'll be okay," I told him smiling, I didn't like seeing him unhappy.

We rode around trying to find flat ground with grass that wasn't so tall.

"It's a good thing you brought towels," I told him, laying out a towel.

He smiled at me and brought over a couple dozen twigs and a piece of fabric. He sat the stick between his thighs and rubbed the fabric against the stick quickly. It began to smoke but then went out. He finally gave up and layed down beside me.

"So much for trying to impress," he said.

"Yes but watching you concentrate is adorable," I said scooting closer to him.

He wrapped his arm around me and I rested my head on his bicep. It was almost like the movies, this moment was, where the couple stares up at the stars and then at each other, finally to become closer and kiss. This would be the climax, when the viewers would become all tangled up in our forbidden romance that no one saw coming. Only everyone sees it coming, which is why we don't kiss, we don't stare into each other's eyes, we only look up at the stars and count the constellations until we feel asleep.

All the love.

xMargo