Epilogue

*Maddi's POV*

It'd been almost a month since I watched the doctor walk out of Ethan's hospital room, only to tell us that he wouldn't make it. I'd blamed myself for everything, and broke down in every way possible, but tonight I had to be strong.

Tonight was the Teen Choice Awards, and Ethan and Grayson had been nominated. They were still nominees, only Ethan wouldn't be going up to receive an award if they got one. I had to take his place, and just the thought twisted my stomach around.

I felt sick, as the women wearing a 'Team Dolan' shirt fidgeted with my hair and makeup. I looked at myself in the mirror, and imagined Ethan standing behind me, telling me I look stunning and kissing my head. I inched a smile on to my face, for the first time in a month.

"How's it going?" Grayson asked me, rubbing my arms. I nodded my head.

"It's going.. How about you?" I responded.

"It's going.." he mimicked. Cambri and Nate sat in the benches behind us, trying to keep their cool as Cambri was 9 months and 2 weeks pregnant. The baby could come anytime, threatening the whole show to fall apart.

I forced a smile onto my lips as Nesa, Grayson, Cameron, and I made our way to the middle of the audience. Looking around at everyone made my heart do flips and I wished more than ever the Ethan was here. This was his dream.

"I don't think I can do this," I whispered into Grayson's shoulder. I felt someone squeeze my hand behind me, and looked around to see The Twins' mother, this was the first I was meeting her. I'd been too nervous the whole time, what would I say anyway, 'Hi, I'm Maddi, your dead son's girlfriend'? It seemed impossible.

I sat a long, painful wait in the audience between Nesa and Grayson, before Laura Marano and Shay Mitchell went up to the stage for the winner of Choice YouTubers, witch Ethan and Grayson had been nominated for.

Although I was nervous, I had my fingers crossed that the Twins would win, it only seemed fair to Ethan that he completes his dream before officially moving along to a different life.

The nominees were called out and Laura opened the small letter that revealed the winner.

"And the winner of your Choice YouTuber is," Laura announced.

I mentally counted down in my head.

3... C'mon please let them win.

2... I really wish Ethan could be here.

1... I miss you Ethan..

"The Dolan Twins!"

I let a tear slip out, and stood up with Grayson's hand in mine. We walked up, giving the audience high fives and easing our was through the crowd.

Shay held out the blue surfboard that had 'Teen Choice Awards' written along it. Grayson took it and let me have the microphone.

"Hello," I said softly and awkwardly, "unfortunately Ethan couldn't be with us tonight."

I stopped myself, not wanting to say what everyone had been expecting, I wanted to say what I knew Ethan would want them to hear.

"In the year I've known Ethan, and Grayson, I've learned some things about them. They hate anchovies with a passion, they don't know how to spell," I paused, earning a few laughs from the crowd, "but they're super passionate about doing what they love and they've never wanted anything more than to encourage people to follow their dreams. I've fallen so deeply in close with Ethan and that's why, standing here, in Ethan's place, hurts more than ever and makes it so real to finally say that he's gone. Lastly, I want everyone here to know, that if Ethan could be remembered by one thing, it would be the ability to make everyone understand how incredibly important it is to remember your happiness over others. Your passions could be different than your family, or your peers, anyone who surrounds you. Nothing gives them the right to judge anything you strive to pursue," I paused again, this time close to tears, "thank you."

All the love in the world.
xMargo