Chapter 3

I set my lunch box on the table and sat down. I was still super embarrassed.

The whole cafeteria got quiet as D.J. got out of the lunch line. We were all waiting to see what table he would sit at.

Like the hipster he was, note the sarcasm, he sat down at the only empty table in the cafeteria. Not three minutes later the table was full of the football preps. They just congregated around him. It was like this kid was God or something. I rolled my eyes.

Suddenly D.J. and I locked eyes. He flashed me that stupid smirk and winked.

What a jerk. He could have at least helped me up in the hallway.

*******************

I had Art next and I couldn't wait to get there. I had that class alone. And by alone I meant I didn't have any friends or anyone to bug me in there. It was quiet and I could just focus and work on things.

I walked into the classroom and tossed my books on the nearest table. I practically ran to the back to the art room to the pottery wheel. Throwing on an apron, I made sure the wheel was plugged in.

The wheel was a little too wet from the last class. I grabbed a sponge and wiped up a little bit of the water.

I walked over to the trash can labeled 'clay bucket' and grabbed a chuck of the red clay. Molding it in my hands I turned to walk back to my wheel.

I saw that stupid flash of blue fabric again. You. Have. Got. To. Be. Kidding. Me.

D.J. walked in and set his stuff right next to mine. Why was this kid in my favorite class?

I rolled my eyes extremely annoyed. It wouldn't be that hard to ignore him.

I threw the glob of clay on the wheel and wiped off my hands. I put my headphones in my ears and blasted my music.

I stepped on the pedal to get the wheel spinning and started working the clay. I had my vase almost finished when I felt a hand on my shoulder. I jumped and my hand hit the side of the vase, making the clay rip and collapse in on itself.

I ripped my headphones out of my ears and spun around. "What!?" I spat.

D.J. stood behind me looking shocked.

"Don't look at me like your stupid." I snapped. "What the hell is your problem?"

D.J. ran his hand through his hair making his blue shirt rise a little bit. "Sorry, I didn't notice this." He said pointing to his current disaster.

"It's okay." I huffed. "Just be a little more careful next time."

"I will."

"So, what did you want anyway?"

D.J. leaned on the divider between the wheels. Okay. That was kinda cute.. "I was gonna ask you," he started. "If you were my notebook where would you be?"

I rolled my eyes. "Probably in your locker."

"That's not the notebook I was talking about. I thought I had it, and now I can't find it and yeah.."

I was confused. I gave him a questioning look.

D.J. waved his hand in the air. "Never mind. Forget it. I'll go find it myself." D.J. turned around and walked back towards the paint area.

I turned back to my station and started scraping off the clay to clean up my mess. I took the broken vase off of the wheel and took it to the 'recycled clay' bin. Then took a sponge and wet it down a little. I took the sponge back to my station and started cleaning up. After I was done, I walked over to the sink and washed my hands. I took off my apron and hung it back up on a hook. Then it hit me. Gosh I was stupid.

I walked over to the cabinet and grabbed a sketchbook. I walked up behind D.J. and set it in front of him. "Sorry we didn't exactly meet the right way." I started. "I'm Tennessa."

D.J. smiled as he turned around. "Hey, Tennessa. I'm D.J."

"Yeah. I know." I smirked.

D.J. motioned to me with his finger to move closer. I came in closer to his face. He reached up and pointed to my cheek. "You've got a little something, Tennessa." The bell rang and he got up and walked out.

I walked over to the mirror and looked at my reflection. I had smears of red clay on both of my cheeks. How embarrassing.