Chapter 13

I was sitting at my spot at the lunch table.

"So," Shelly walked up and sat next to me. "I hear D.J. has a new lady-friend."

I nodded slowly. "Okay?"

"Just thought I'd let you know, since you're in love with him and all."

"Woah," I coughed and choked on a grape. "I barely know the guy."

"Barely?" Shelly questioned. "When did you actually meet him?"

"Art class." I mumbled.

"Oh, well. Okay."

"Who's desperate?" Alex walked up beside me and sat in her seat.

"What?" Shelly asked.

Alex shrugged. "I was just wondering because there's a slut at our table." The punch was thrown directly at Shelly. I knew that Alex was serious, but this idiot never caught it.

"Ha. Ha." Shelly rolled her eyes. "Oh, there's Austin! See you guys later." Shelly said running towards the door.

"I swear." Alex mumbled. "I am so tired of her."

"We both are." I said. Alex put her lunch box on the table and pulled out her salad and chicken. We both sat in silence eating for a couple of minutes. "My mom's getting married." I said flatly.

"Really?" Alex asked.

"Yeah. On Friday and Seth is going to be there."

"That's awkward."

"I have to end it." I said.

"End it?" Alex questioned.

"Yeah. I mean what little there is to end. I mean was there anything in the first place? We had that one night. And I wasn't exactly in the right mind."

"I think it was something." Alex said.

"Really?" I asked. "You think?"

"Yeah. Of course it was. He was super sweet. A normal guy would have taken advantage. He took care of you." Alex observed.

"Maybe. Or maybe he was afraid of Adam." I said.

"Maybe, but I doubt it." Alex argued.

"Well, I guess we'll see on Friday."

***************

I sat in the back of the art room on the floor and scribbled in my sketch pad. I wasn't drawing any certain thing, just scribbling circles.

I felt a person sit next to me. "So, why are you so deep in thought?" A familiar voice asked.

"Just confused." I admitted.

"Anything I can help with?"

"Yes, but I'm not going to tell you." I said honestly.

"Wow. Well then."

"Sorry, no offense or anything."

"It's okay." D.J. said. "You sure you don't want to talk about it? Who knows? I could help."

"I doubt it." I shrugged. I turned to face him. "I have a question."

"Shoot." D.J. smiled.

"What are we doing?" I asked. "Really?"

"Well," D.J. said. "We, are having fun." D.J. must have seen the annoyance on my face because he continued, "Listen, Tenessa, I like you."

I looked at him and raised my eyebrows. "You've known me for a little more than a week."

"So imagine how much more I'll like you in a month."

I sighed. "I feel like something is off."

"What's off about it?" D.J. asked.

"I don't know. I mean is this normal? This is fast." I questioned.

"Here, I have an idea. Why don't we continue beings friends and see where it goes. If it doesn't we can still be friends. If it does awesome. No harm no foul."

I shrugged. "Sounds like a plan to me."

"So wanna hang out on Friday?" D.J. asked.

"I would but I can't." I answered. "My mom's getting married."

"What time's the wedding?" D.J. asked.

"You know what," I answered. "I'm not sure."

"Well." D.J. said. "How about you find out," D.J. grabbed my hand and started writing on it. "And text me and tell me when it will be over and I'll come get you if you're not busy."

I smiled at him. "Sounds like a plan." Then the bell rang.

************************