Chapter 4

"Woohoo!" People were yelling and ringing cowbells. We had just scored yet another touchdown.

It was Friday night and I was standing in the cheer block. Our football team was playing the Zionsville Lions. The score was currently 67-0. We were crushing them.

The clock said that we still had five minutes left in the fourth quarter. I walked down the stairs swinging my car keys around in my hand. I was going to get out of here before everyone went bat shit crazy trying to get out of the parking lot.

I called out to Alex. She nodded turning from her conversation with two guys from school. Alex waved goodbye to them and followed me down the bleachers.

"So," Alex said bouncing up behind me. "Are we going to Lindies?"

"Yeah," I answered. "That's why we're getting out of here so early. I want to get there before everyone else does."

Alex and I walked out to the parking lot and got into my car. I started my car up and pulled out of my parking spot. The drive out took a while. Apparently lots of other people had the same idea I did.

The drive to Lindies took about four seconds. The local pizza joint was only a block and a half away from the school. That's why everybody went there after the games.

When I turned into the parking lot to Lindies it was packed. I looked at some of the soccer mom vans. Zionsville bumper stickers everywhere. Some of the football players girlfriends pulled up in a car behind me. We all got out. "What the hell?!" I heard one of the blondes pout.

Alex was friends with all of us. She held a finger up and pulled her phone out. With after two taps she had the phone up to her ear. "Hi," she said playing with a strand of her brown hair. "Cole?" She walked away for a second talking to this Cole kid.

"Okay." She popped back over to us hanging up the phone. "I took care of it."

We all hung out in the parking lot waiting for this surprise Alex had for us.

Ten minutes and four truckloads of people later a black truck pulled up. Cole opened up the drivers side door and got out. His friend Eric got out of the other door and opened up the tailgate. There was a grill and a cooler in the back of the truck. The crowd cheered. Alex hopped up on the tailgate and kissed Cole on the cheek and whispered something. I rolled my eyes.

Alex hopped down and walked over to me. I smiled. "I know I'm good." She smirked. "You don't have to tell me." She sat on the trunk of my car.

I turned to her. "Actually, I was thinking more whore."

Alex hit me in the arm. "Jerk."

I smiled. "You know you love me."

"Yeah, I do."

All of a sudden a jeep pulled in. The stereos were blasting some kind of rap music and the driver was going a little too fast.

That's when I saw him. The top was off of his jeep. D.J. put the jeep in park and hopped over the door. Some of the guys came up and greeted him with high fives. He nodded to a couple of people and walked around to the back of his jeep.

The football boys made a group around D.J. I sat on the trunk of my car with Alex and observed them.

Alex was gazing at Cole. I nudged her. "Go for it." I nodded.

"You sure?" Alex questioned.

"Yeah. I'll be alright over here."

"Thanks." Alex hopped off of the trunk and walked over towards Cole with her hands in her back pockets.

I sat back for a while and watched them together. I had a feeling I wouldn't be her ride home tonight. When Alex got to the tailgate Cole leaned down and kissed her. Sick.

Alex was one of those romantic types. You know the type. She still believes that there's someone in the world that's perfect for her.

Watching her work was truly hilarious. Every guy she talks to thinks he's someone special. Until she dumps him that is.

"Hey." I heard a male voice beside me. My car shifted as another body was added to my trunk. I turned to see D.J. sitting beside me holding out a Pepsi. I took it.

"Hey." I smiled.

"So this is all your friends doing." D.J. motioned to the parking lot.

"Yeah." I shrugged. "This is her thing."

"Why isn't it your thing?" He asked.

"I don't know. It just isn't." I said.

"Why are you two so different?" D.J. questioned.

"I don't know." I answered cocking my head. "Maybe that's what makes us such good friends."

D.J. motioned towards Alex and Cole. My eyes followed his nod. Alex was standing too close to the tailgate of the truck. She started to slip but Cole caught her around the waist. Cole held a spatula in one hand and Alex with the other. Cole leaned in and she snuggled back up and kissed him. "So you don't do stuff like that?"

I scoffed. "Um, no."

"Why not?" At first I thought he has being flirty but then I realized that it was a legitimate question.

"It's not really my scene."

"Well, what is your scene?" D.J. asked.

"Um. I don't know."

"Come with me." He said turning towards his jeep. I pushed off of my trunk and followed him.

D.J. walked over to the drivers side and got in. Then he leaned over and opened the passengers side door. "Hop in." D.J. started the jeep.

I climbed up into the seat. What? It wasn't like he was a serial killer or anything. Right? I shut the door and we took off.