Chapter 12

I pulled my house keys out of my pocket and unlocked the front door. I walked inside and tossed my bag on the floor. I stepped into the living room and saw my dad sitting on the couch watching a recording of an old basketball game. "Hey, Dad." I said walking over to sit next to him.

"Travel." Dad nodded at the television screen. The ref blew his whistle.

I nodded. "I saw." We sat there in silence for a couple of minutes watching. We had both seen this game three or four times. We knew every play and every call, but it was like watching film. See the mistake and don't make it again.

"So how was your day?" He finally asked, never taking his eyes off of the screen.

"It was... Fine." I said. "How was yours?"

"It was good." He nodded at the screen again. "Foul."

I nodded because I knew it was there and they wouldn't call it. Dad rolled his eyes, "Damn Refs." He mumbled.

"I got a few new customers today."

"Yeah?" I said. "That's nice."

"Yeah. Hey, have you talked to your mother lately?"

"I haven't talked to her in a couple of days, why?" I asked.

"Oh, you'll see. Maybe you should call her." Dad suggested.

"Okay. I think I will." I got up and walked into my room. I pulled out my cell phone and dialed my mom's number. She picked up on the third ring.

"Hey, Sis. How's it going?"

"Hey Mom." I smiled. "Good how are you guys?"

"I'm awesome! Guess what?" I could hear the excitement in her voice.

"What?"

"I'm getting married!" She squealed.

"Um, what?" I said.

"Oh, Honey. Please be happy about it. I don't want you to be upset."

"No, Mom, I'm not upset. I'm just surprised. Wow. Married?" I was shocked, but there was no way in hell I was telling her that.

"Yeah! Isn't it exciting? We're going to the courthouse in three days."

"Three days?" I asked. "Isn't that a little soon?"

"Honey, we might as well be married now, we're just making it legal."

"You have a point there." I admitted.

"Would you like to come?" Mom asked. "I mean you don't have to, but your brother is coming and Seth is gonna..."

"Wait. Seth is coming?" I asked.

"Yes, he was with Adam when we told him and Adam said he was bringing Seth. Poor kid didn't have much of a choice." She chuckled. "Why? Are you two gonna pick up where you left off?" I could feel her teasing me through the phone.

"Well Mom, actually about that..."

"Oh God," Mom groaned. "There's another guy isn't there?"

"Oh Mom," I groaned flopping back on my bed. "You should meet him. He's new at school. He can be an asshole, a cocky asshole. But, he can be super sweet when he wants to be. Like Mom, we went out last night," I lowered my voice. "And he showed up at my window this morning with Tylenol and that cocky grin." I sighed. "You would like him."

"He sounds like a keeper." Mom said. "So are you guys dating?"

"Mom, I've known him for a week. Seriously?" I rolled my eyes even though she couldn't see it.