Chapter Two

Chapter Two

I checked the time when I heard the shrill screech of my school's vice principal, Mr. Gary. He was a thin and lanky man with tired eyes, my fault, and hair that had thinned from years of pulling at it, also my fault. 

"Sadie Green! It has been ten minutes into the school day and you've already disrupted the student body! Bridget Tan is in my office screaming about a broken wrist." 

With Charlie still on my tail, I paused with a smile bright as the morning sun on my face. "Bobby! I missed you all summer long! How've you been?"

Mr. Gary's eyes looked past me to Charlie, widening in surprise and regret. "Charlie Fine! I came to greet you on your first day, but it looks like this little demon got to you first." Then his attention was back on me with an accusatory finger wagging a little to close to my nose. "Ms. Green, why is Charlie's nose bleeding?"

My hands flew to my heart and I tried to morph my face into the most shocked and disappointed look. "Alvin, Alvin, Alvin, are you accusing me of something I would never do!"

"I'd love if your last year here you'd call me Mr. Gary and show me some respect."

Our principal Mrs. Alvez passed us by in the hall. She was a small stout lady, grumpy and hot tempered and hell bent on retiring early. She loved me though. "Good morning Ms. Green, hopefully what I've been hearing isn't true."

"Of course not, Mrs. Alvez." I practically chirped and she waved a dismissing hand my way, letting me off with my crimes. "Leave her alone, Alvin. She needs to get to class."

Mr. Gary's whole face fell and contorted in frustration and confusion, "Go to class, Ms. Green. Don't hit another person or you'll be suspended for two weeks. And don't think Alex can help you like usual." 

"M'kay, bye Alvin! I already miss you!" I waved to Mr. Gary, I didn't care if Charlie was still following me.

I skipped into class smiling innocently and my best friend Abby laughed and asked me, "Sadie, what did you do? School has barely started and you have already done something bad." Even my best friend was suspicious of me. Abby and I met in elementary school, bonding as quick as little kids could bond and since have been inseparable. With one look, she can read me like a book.

I plopped down at my desk, propping up my chin on my hands with elbows childishly planted on the desk. "Abby, I'm surprised at you! Just because I'm happy, doesn't mean I did something wrong. I'm upset you are judging me!" 

If I was an actor I'd be Paul Giamatti because I was a Big Fat Liar. Look. It. Up.

She rolled her eyes and looked at me expectantly. 

"Ok, so maybe there is this new kid named Charlie who was pissing me off and I didn't feel like putting up with it and I punched him in the face."

"And?" She doesn't sound shocked, typical. If it's one thing my friends are used to, it's me getting into fights.

"Bridget pulled on my braid after I made the Barbie Queen upset. So then I kind of flipped her over my shoulder, like a little." I waved it off, waiting for Abby to stop laughing. "Also, Mr. and Mrs. Stevens saw the whole thing, and then I started my reign of torture over Mr. Gary." Abby continued to laugh.

"I feel bad for him, day one and you're already reigning havoc."

I nodded, "It's what I do best."

Her eyes scanned over the class and landed on someone and I was too busy throwing bits of paper in Alex's hair. 

Abigail gasped loudly and tugged on my arm, practically pulling me out of my chair. 

"Bitch, what do you want?" I whined as I pretended to melt into the floor. I had a flair for the dramatics, like a true queen.