Chapter Thirty: The End

Chapter Thirty

How does one pass the time in a car? Is it listening to music, talking politics, or family? Do we express feelings or insecurities, do we sing together to the radio? Do we talk about school or other people. Do we gossip about are friends.

Nope. Cheesy, awful pick up lines. It had been going on for a long time.

"If you were a booger, I'd pick you first." Charlie started.

"There's a party in my pants, and you're invited." Ha.

We went back and forth laughing at the terrible lines we've heard, our sense of humors matched and we were able to joke freely, no insecurities between us.

"Wow, girl, you must have a license, because you are driving me crazy!" That one was the kicker, I was silent for a split second then I burst like a bubble gum bubble with laughter.

"You're an idiot!" I giggled calming as we walked in, I turned the knob to the door but Charlie covered my eyes.

"Babe, you're gonna ruin the surprise!" Charlie whined then started kissing my neck, twirling his tongue and nibbling.

"No one is taking me from you Charles, you don't have to give me a hickey." I gritted my teeth trying to will myself not to succumb to him.

"Just walk forward then sit on the floor, don't open your eyes."

I decided this once that I should listen. So I did, I knew the loft like I knew how much Charlie hates sweet potato. My butt was on the ground and Charlie kept repeating to not open my eyes. He said it so many times that I lost focus and imagined ways to beat him since he was annoying me. Sweet potatoes, butter sock, farting, all the usual things.

Something fluffy bumped into my legs climbing into my lap, "Open." Charlie called.

In my lap was the cutest Yorkie that I've ever seen. It was black with golden brown stripes on its legs and face. "Oh my god. Oh my god. Oh my god!" I shreiked picking it up cuddling it to me, the dog licked my face nuzzling me too.

"His name is Ray, in honor of Ray so you don't forget the guy who taught you everything you learned, like how to punch me properly in my nose. There's something on his collar that I want you to read." Charlie sat next to me beaming with satisfaction at my reaction to Ray.

I fumbled with Ray's collar until I found a ribbon with a key dangling on it, on the ribbon it said, "Move in with me?"

I placed Ray gently down silently. Charlie looked worried that I haven't said anything yet. For the second time that day I burst into tears. I heard an oomph, as I launched into his lap wrapping around him kissing him over and over while I cried happily. "Yes, yes, a million times yes."

He wanted me to move in with him, we could be together every day. Charlie would be able to hold me when I slept and when I woke up.

Ray crawled on me whining, what did he want? I don't speak dog! Urgent!

Hm, maybe, I held him in my arms like a baby and he silenced and licked my cheek. Go Sadie for being dog whisperer, move over Caesar Milan, Sadie is coming through.

Everything was perfect. Charlie and I were going to live together and our friends were either minutes or a few hours away, the occasional nightmares of Ricco would be irrelevant, because Charlie would be there every night and ready to deal with them.

"But what does your mom think?" The thought stabbed my happiness balloon. Shit.

"I don't care what she thinks, my dad is completely supporting me in this and Jodi will talk to my mom. My stalker girl is going to Berkeley, so we don't have to worry about her. We are going to be okay. I have you so there's nothing I have to worry about." He was shifting around weirdly and I set Ray down, he trotted over to his little bed and flopped. The two of us are totally going to get along.