Chapter Nine

Chapter Nine

Bumbling boy was hot on our trail, he just would not give up. He chased us back to our spot and quickly I jumped onto my towel and pulled Alex's over me to hide. Angry guy could chase Charlie for all I cared. 

The guy pulled the towel off me, revealing my crumpled up body as I pretended I didn't exist. The rude shitsipper yanked me up, "Get up!" Why would you introduce yourself like that. What's with guys thinking they can just yell at girls and get them to do whatever they want?

The boys were by my side in an instant, all angry and alert. Abby stayed relaxed as she tanned on her towel, she knew any guy who came my way I could handle.

"I don't feel like it." I pushed the jerk's arm away.

"You won't regret it if you come over with me, you'll have a good time. Trust me. I'm Bryce." Ew. His murky brown eyes grazed over my body. The way he told me to trust him only made my skin crawl, uncomfortable anxiety laced my thoughts. When Charlie said it, I just did. I stepped back between Charlie and Alex.

Alex stood quiet and stone cold beside me. These were another of those moments that I hated myself for Alex's sake, he had to take the position as my parents. In times like these, Alex would have to protect me the way a parent would. He never let me do the same for him. It wasn't fair to him, Alex only protected me, but I always worried. Who was protecting him?

Maybe Abby would.

Thinking about that, I glanced over at Abby. Her eyes twinkled with amusement for me but irritation with Alex and the guys for thinking I need help.

Maybe I should get back in the moment. Dumb boy gave me a shit line.

"You can't be serious, that's so pathetic!" I laughed no humor in it. This guy was some character if he thought that line would get him any success.

He shoved me back, hard. My ankle caught in the sand but Charlie caught me before any damage could happen, I felt a sharp pain in my knee, fuck.

Charlie's warm arms locked around me, staying around me longer than we both knew was necessary. "Are you okay?" He whispered down to me.

"I'm fine." I straightened, shaking him away. I didn't need his worry or care. I didn't need anyone new to care for. "You did not just do that."

Smirking he replied, like a complete dickface, "I believe I did." Backed into Charlie, still, wow that's new, I felt him tense at doucherag's response.

Turning to the guys, I locked eyes with each one,"Guys, back off, I can handle this. You all know I can."

Alex just made a humph noise, eyes hard. Mitchell just looked peeved off, he had a low tolerance for people like this guy. Charlie just frowned in disapproval, didn't want me fighting my own battles. Classic boys. 

Bryce scoffed at that, "You? Beat me? I could step on you. Someone should teach you a lesson for being a feisty bitch." He wound up to do more than shove me, but poor thing, he was too slow. It was an easy boxing maneuver, a roll under his throw. Squatting down, I slipped to the side right under his arm. "What the fuck?" More confused than angry, Bryce swiveled to face me again.

I shrugged with nonchalance, punching him in the stomach. He started this. Don't blame me for fighting back. Bryce recovered, but I punched his face hard, hearing the satisfying crack of my fist on his jaw.

A quick sweep to the sand left Bryce groaning in pain. Abby finished off by dumping wet sand on his head.

"Ah shit!" He swatted the sand from his face and glared up at me. "What is your problem?"

Smiling like the angel I am I gave him a response, "I didn't have a problem with you, until you hit my food away. That was crossing the line. And no means no. I don't want you, so back off Bryce. You should never put your hands on a lady."

He stood up and nodded, "I underestimated you." Wow, that was easy. Bipolar much?

Shaking my head, I sighed, "When I say back off, back off. And don't touch my food, ever."

"Of course, see ya around." Bryce walked away, more like limped. I sat back down on my towel, and all my friends watched me like I was crazy.

"What?" I asked. I didn't do anything wrong, did I?

"You forgive that guy for almost hurting you? Why would you do that?" Abby asked, incredulity seeping into her voice.

"Why not? Now, he knows what I'm capable of, and I'm going to let bygones be bygones." I leaned back onto Mitchell who was playing with my hair.

He supported me on my statement, "Yeah, I don't think that guy will mess Sadie again. And oh my gosh monkey, your hair looks so pretty in a fishtail braid."

Chuckling I replied, "A fish what? I have no clue what that is."

Everyone talked over each other but not loud enough I couldn't hear my phone ring, it was Ray.

"Everyone, shut up!" I waved my hands while I picked up, "Hello, Raymond! My favorite coach, my inspiration, my world!"

Ray made an annoyed sound into the phone, "Hi, Kid. You need to be here as soon as possible, your fight was moved up to today. In two hours. I need you here now, we need to make sure your knee is okay. Championship means no time for fooling around. Get here, bring your posse, I don't care."

"Mitch, help me up," He lifted me and I exhaled as my knee popped in a weird way. "Guys, I've got to go, Ray just called saying my fight was moved up to today. In two hours."

Alex got his stuff and we rushed to the car, the others heading into Mitchell's. "This is it, huh?" Alex grinned at me as we peeled out of the parking lot. "This fight and you've got the Champion title of the West Coast, and you'll with that $10,000."

"And I promise we split that money for school, we still will have no money but it'll be a start."

"You don't need to share the money with me, Sadie. I didn't earn any of it."

"You're stupider than you look if you think I won't share that money with you."

He glanced at me, "I'm pretty sure I got a better grade than you on last weeks Calculus test."

"By one point." I snapped.

My panic started to rise in preparation for the fight, Bryce fucked up my knee again right after I had been so patient and good. This knee injury had been the longest lasting injury I had other than the various cracked ribs or wrist fractures here and there. If I didn't win, I couldn't give Alex the money. I knew where my half was going, I would be paying the money for the bills. Our aunt paid the mortgage but I could use the money to pay for the electric bill, gas, water, cell service, groceries, and all the other stuff. My fights won us some money but this would be the biggest pay out. I picked up the occasional tutoring job in the next town over since no one knew what sort of lazy trouble maker I was. 

I needed to win this not just for Ray and my own ego, but for Alex. I needed to win. I had to win.

I was going to win.