Chapter Twenty

Chapter Twenty

When I woke up I was in a huge bedroom all in blue and red. Tucked around me was a comforter of blue plaid, with red accents. Sports posters hung on the wall and on a dark wooden desk were a line of books and pictures. One picture was of Max with a large toothless grin, another was Max and Charlie on Christmas morning. There was one of "Boys Night." Gosh he loved boys night. 

Every Thursday night, Charlie, Alex, Mitchell, and Matt, not CJ I have no clue, all ran around doing classic guy things. One week it was paintball, the next ATV racing, another time laser tagging. All four of them wore huge smiles and their clothes were mud covered and paint drenched from their outdoor paintball games. The epitome of teenage boy heaven. But in the middle of the pictures was one of the two of us. Charlie and I were at Mitchell's soccer game, with all of our friends. I was sitting in his lap on the sports chair, and his arms were around me. Alex said something so stupid as he was taking the picture that neither of us could stop laughing. It was a happy moment, me in one of his  many sweatshirts, and his chin on my shoulder.

But where was I now? I was in the center of a king size bed in sweatpants and a big teeshirt. Comfy, cozy, but still confused.

These weren't mine, what happened?

Someone opened the door and I curled myself up. All I knew was that I was hurt, something was wrong. Where was Charlie? I needed him, I needed to be cared for.

"Sadie?" It was Charlie, I was still in his house. Suddenly all the memory of the day flooded in and despite my embarrassment, I began to sob. Just his voice was enough to trigger the vulnerability in me, he was the only one I could be myself with. 

"Is he gone?" I was able to ask between sobs, I looked like a mess, no doubt. Freakin' Ricco.

"I beat his ass then kicked him and Catherine out." The voice of my, boyfriend, was cold to the core, the tone of violence only I seemed to bring out of him. Usually I would have worried about that, but I needed him close to me.

Charlie slid into his bed and I could tell he wasn't sure whether it not to hug me but I needed him, I crawled into his lap. Crying of course.

You know how chihuahuas shake for some gosh darn reason, well that was me. Charlie cradled me with such care in his arms, "Babe, no one will hurt you. You're safe and okay, I'm so sorry I brought you here. This was my fault, I should have guessed that Catherine would be here."

I always felt so secure and safe when he held me, no wonder I loved him. "I'm just glad you're here now."

"Want me to sing to you?"Charlie asked cheekily and I nodded with a shaky laugh. He sung to me, The Parting Glass, by Ed Sheeran into my ear to soothe me. Low and warm, just perfect. 

When I calmed I smiled meekly, "Why did you sing that?" It was the perfect song choice, he knew exactly what to do, what to say.

He smiled shyly, that loving sparkle in his eyes. "I can tell he's your favorite and you like that one because you hum and sing it around when you daydream in the car and at home."

I daydreamed often. A lot about Charlie, not that I'd ever say that to him.

My cheeks reddened and he added, "And I know if you were given the chance, you would leave me for him. I see how you get when his songs come on." 

Can you imagine how frustrating it was trying not to blush when Charlie said something like that? He read my mind and made butterflies in my stomach flutter at the speed of light.

I bit my lip and nodded, "I probably would." That was a complete lie, as much as I obsessed of Ed's music, but leaving Charlie? That was the dumbest thing I could do. Charlie kept me grounded and he was the perfect guy.