Chapter Thirteen

Chapter Thirteen

Within the next few weeks, Charlie and I grew closer. The fact that he knew all my secrets officially finally broke down the wall I had with him, well not completely. We weren't completely best friends all of a sudden but him and I spoke more often, we hung out together at the Loft, he kept me in check at school. Nerd. We didn't speak about his feelings for me, and we had never discussed mine for him. I didn't know how I felt and I didn't want to start the conversation.

Mr. Gary approached me one day in the hall with Charlie on our way to class. "Sadie Green, I'm so pleased with your record. I haven't heard a single complaint about you all week, you haven't been in my office in three weeks. You've really turned yourself around, haven't you?"

"I can change that, right now." I flashed a wry smile at Mr. Gary as Leah and Bridget passed in the hall.

I felt the heat of a disapproving look weigh down on me, "Don't do anything stupid."

My jaw clenched together and I whipped my head to glare at him incredulously, "Shut up, Dad."

Mr. Gary gave a dramatic laugh. "So, I should be thanking the boyfriend for this change?"

"He is not my boy-" I tried to stop him but Charlie interjected and he wrapped an arm around my shoulders while planting a sloppy kiss on the side of my head.

"You have no reason to thank me, my sweetheart made the changes on her own. She really is a good person deep down. Deep, deep, DEEP, down."

Mr. Gary's face lit up with a bright smile that stood out against his drab mustard sweater, "Ah, young love. So precious. Resume your day!"

Charlie burst into laughter after Mr. Gary walked away from us and I smacked him in the gut turning his laugh into a cough.

"Wow, the look on your face, that was priceless." He chuckled as he regained his breath.

I slid one hand down to hold one of his in mine, leaning up to plant a soft kiss on his cheek with my other had cupping his cheek lightly. His face went blank. Gotcha, Charles. "Now that face is priceless. Let's go, sweetheart." I drew out the last word sarcastically and he rolled his eyes.

In the past three weeks, Charlie had talked me out of fourteen fights, nine altercations with teachers, and got me out of three detentions and one suspension. I had to admit it, he was a miracle worker.

I couldn't get away from him even if I tried. If I wasn't out with Charlie, he was already at my house to hang out with Alex and Mitchell. They were all obsessed with each other, major boy crush stuff going on.

One day during winter break, Charlie was over watching movies with Alex and Mitchell. I intruded on their guy time as a good sister does, throwing myself down onto Mitchell who quickly threw me onto Charlie's lap. His arms locked around me and I hated how I wanted to melt into him and forget about things.

Midway through one of the many mob movies they had been watching that day, I heard the kitchen door open. "Hello?" Abby called into the house and I heard the mumblings of Emma and CJ and for some reason Gia behind Abby. The noise woke me up from my peaceful nap on the couch. My head was on Charlie's thigh and my legs on Mitchell. Charlie's hand stroked my hair softly which was what lulled me to sleep in the first place.

"Sadie, baby, wake up. You can't nap all day." CJ lifted me off the couch and my arms and legs looped around him to stop from falling.

"I'm tired, CJ, put me down." I caught Charlie's eyes over CJ's shoulder. His green orbs were darker than usual and his expression held barely any patience or kindness. Boy jealousy, as petty as girls.