Chapter Fifteen

Chapter Fifteen

The sunlight from the small window in The Loft brushed my skin, warming me to wake up. I always loved to see the sun rise over the hills. Before I could get out the bed though, an arm wrapped around me tugging me back into a solid chest. I could smell the comforting scent of men's soap, mint, and a little pine.

A small smile crossed my lips as I tried to sit up but his arm kept me tied down into him. "Charlie, get up, it's morning."

"I wouldn't have pegged you as a morning person, small fry."

"I'm not small, you're just a big monster."
"You want me to show me where I'm big?" He popped an eye open with a husky chuckle.

"Ugh. Boy." I tugged the blanket off and he groaned.

"I want breakfast," I kicked at his leg and he grabbed me and I had to jump to make sure I wouldn't fall over.

Charlie pulled me until I was straddling him on the bed, "Then make it." He attempted to roll me over back into bed.

"I want you to make it." I slapped his cheeks lightly and he kissed my hand. "So consider it rent. There's some eggs and stuff in the fridge."

He sighed and stood lifting me with him, I kissed his cheek happily.

"When will you let me take you on a date?" He asked after he sat on the counter. He broke out some pans and started cooking up some eggs and veggies that I had bought earlier that week.

I shrugged while I turned on the coffee maker. "I don't really do dates or dating."

"Then what is this?" Charlie gestured between us and I just looked away, I tried to ignore the look of hurt that flashed in his eyes.

I liked him so much, I really did, he made it impossible not to want to be around him. With one understanding nod and look, he could calm me down faster than anyone. I had no idea what to do with him. I wasn't the type of girl for him. He was smart and handsome, he had connections in the world of money and business that I had never had. I was meant to end up alone or with some guy at my level that I'd meet through boxing. No one like Charlie was meant for someone like me. He deserved to continue the life he was given, I couldn't risk that for him.

More than I didn't deserve him, I didn't want to be around when he realized that he was too good for me. It was fun now, exciting too, but it wouldn't be like this forever. I wouldn't let myself get hurt.

"I don't know." I answered quietly and he continued to cook like I hadn't just made it all awkward between us.

"Come on," He patted my knee with two plates of omelets and some fruit he cut up. "Bring me a cup too."

His patience, I admired it as much as it was excruciating to endure. I was used to a screaming match when it came to boyfriends or really anyone else in my life. I wished he would scream at me, fight with me, I understood that kind of thing. It wasn't a cold shoulder either, he was waiting for me to talk and really say what I meant.

He looked at me blankly with a mouthful of eggs, "So talk to me, I won't play this game with you. I'm not going to stick around if you just brush me off every other minute. I need to understand what is going on."

I grit my teeth, I hated getting called on my bullshit and he was the best at it. "I don't know."

"You don't like me? Is that what it is? You don't what me around? Why not just say so, Sadie."

"I don't know what I should do."

"Why?" He spat out flatly.

I bit the inside of my cheek as my cheeks flushed, the vulnerability stuff was not my thing. "I'm not the girl for you."