1 | reminiscence

".......... and therefore, the sine wave differs from a pure wave and a square wave, thus, the wide usage in alternating current inverters which transmit....."

Alice Norewood let out another yawn, the twelfth in that hour. She had been counting the number of yawns to see if that at least would help shake off her sleep.

Mr. Hinn, the Physics Professor was going on and on about waves and inverters and direct current and.. phew.. what not.

Alice would've been fast asleep by now if it were any other class, but this was Mr. Ronald Hinn aka the Severus Snape of Dartwood High.

He had pretty much the same characteristics as Snape - basilisk eyes that could make you twist in your seat in agony with their glare, malice that could make you feel so worthless and assignments that would extract the living lights out of you.

The only difference between the two was that Snape had a secret little love story while Hinn didn't, that is, none they knew of. Who knew, he might've had one, or even more than one. For all they knew, it could be the reason behind his very sweet behaviour.

To make up for that little difference, he had a ton more despicable qualities, the topmost of them being a sickeningly abominable liking towards giving students weird punishments.

He was the P.E. for freshman and sophomore year, but he loved to engage even other year students in sport activities, if you could call running around the school or doing push-ups or sit-ups for a day or other punishments that could match these standards of utter horror, that.

He was totally off his rocker, like, who would choose both Physics and P.E. together? It's like choosing Culinary Arts and Astrophysics together. Heck, even that sounds better. Let's just say someone chose P.E. along with a main course because they wanted to stay fit and healthy. Would they work as a Professor in both, though?

When he caught you sleeping in his class, there were more chances of you panting like a stray dog with your tongue out, drenched to the skin, after having completed his sickening punishments, than not.

That is, to say, if you survived running fifty laps around the entire school or doing sit ups the whole morning till lunch. Worse still, the school management approved of his wonderful methods, because that's how 'unruly teenagers can be tamed'.

That was why every student in Mr. Hinn's class mastered the art of sleeping with your eyes open.

Not fair, right? It may have escaped your notice but life isn't fair!

Alice turned towards her right, to hide another un-stifle-able yawn. She felt so groggy that her vision became blurry. She was careful not to blink, because once she closed her eyes, she was sure she'd drop down asleep. It was pure torture. Mr. Hinn had already caught her yawning twice. It was only a matter of time before she would be sent out to run.

To stop her eyes from closing, Alice tried thinking of something interesting, something that would pull her out of her sleepy delirium. And, that something was obviously Harry Potter for Alice.

It had been seven years ago, that Alice had discovered the magical universe of Harry Potter, in Barnes and Noble.

"It's called Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone, Madam", the salesperson said, handing out two copies each to Alice and Blake.

"It's a new arrival and has been on the top of our bestselling charts for three months in a row"

Alice kept the book near the one she had picked up, thoughtfully.

"Alright. I'll buy this then, Blake.", Alice said, leaving the small black paperback book she had chosen in the rack again.

"You're sure you don't want the one you took?", Blake said.

"Yeah."

"If you aren't sure, take both"

Alice would've taken both the books -  she was a voracious reader - and, no doubt, finish both of them in no time. But she had already bought six books earlier that month in The Jaden's Book Fest. She didn't want to burden Blake, her mother's only sister. Blake had been taking care of Alice ever since her parents died in the Car crash which orphaned her. Blake took Alice in her house, brought her up along with her other two children, and treated her like her own daughter. Last year, Graham, Blake's husband, divorced her and that was when Blake and the three kids were left homeless and penniless. Blake took up a job at a local Nonprofit Organization and somehow managed to make ends meet. Buying more would only trouble her.

"No. No. Only this Harry Potter book"

"Alright then."

Alice and Blake proceeded to the billing counter.

That was the day Alice had stepped into the threshold of the Fandom life she would be living in the future, the one that would stay with her, to the very end.

Suddenly, Hedwig's theme played out loudly, startling Alice, pulling her out of her reverie.

The whole class turned towards Alice, a blank, ominous expression on all their faces.

Why were they looking at....

Damn!

That was when Alice realised. It was her phone that was ringing.

She quickly pulled out her cell phone from her pocket, trying to switch it off before Mr. Hinn could find out it was her, but, too late.

"Alice Norewood!"
Mr. Hinn's furious voice followed.

Alice switched her phone off and stuffed it into her pocket.

"Out! Fifty rounds around the school building." Mr. Hinn gave her a death glare.

"Sir, but......."

"A hundred laps"

"That's unfair!"

"One hundred and fifty"

Alice sighed in defeat, as she walked out of the classroom.

"Shit"

Alice walked down the stairs to the ground floor and started running.

One round....

Two.....

Three.........

Ten....

Alice panted heavily as she completed the tenth round. There was no way she could continue after this. She sank to the ground, body drenched in sweat.

It was all because of that stupid, caller.

Blake was wise enough to never call her in school hours. Asher and Grace, Blake's children too would be in school now. Then who the hell was it?

Alice pulled the phone out of her pocket and switched it on. The screen came to life, after displaying the name of the Brand.

12 Missed Calls. All from one number.

What the.........?

Who the bloody hell was it? Alice called the number.

Ring. Ring. Ring.

No answer.

Alice tried again.

Ring. Ring. Ring.

The Caller ID voice played out.

"Welcome to the Ministry of Magic  American Section."

Damn!

A/N
Who is the caller? Ministry of Magic?
Too many complications right?
There are many references in this chappie aussi.
Stay hooked.
Much love,
Hazel♡