14

( THE LONE BROTHER )

FUEL BARGE
[ ☼ ]

       A bloodstained wallet, money clip, keys and matches are spread out on a table. Benny picks up the money clip. "Quentin and I went way back – one of the old man's favorites, next to me, it turns out." He says.

       Dean looks through a notebook. "Listen to this. 'Age of Aquarius II, 0800', and then there's some other numbers all crossed out. Some other weird names here, too – the Big Mermaid, Solitaire – it's all crossed out, except this one – the Lucky Myra." He says.

       "Yachts. Names of yachts – Lucky Myra..." Benny takes the notebook from Dean. "Age of Aquarius II. Look at this one – Sea You Later, spelled s-e-a. I mean, come on." He puts the notebook down on the table and Dean points to it.

      "So, then these are launch times. And what – destinations?" Asks Dean.

      "Mm-hmm. Except none of them ever get there." Benny says. "The Lucky Myra left yesterday afternoon. I guarantee you it's already been hit."

      "What do you mean, 'hit'?" Asks Dean.

       "Boarded, burned, and buried at sea. My nest – that's how we fed... How we always fed. We kept a tight little fleet, maybe a half-dozen boats. Nothing ostentatious, just pleasure craft. I must have circled the Americas ten times during my tour." Benny says. "A few of us would act as stringers and patrol the harbors, looking for the right-size target – fat, rich yachts going to far-off ports. Take down the boat's name and destination, radio it to the crew in the water. And then we just, uh... let the ocean swallow up all our sins."

      "Vampire pirates? That's what you guys are? Vampirates."

      "You know, all the years we ran together, I can't believe nobody ever thought of that." Benny says.

       "What do you mean? It's like the third thing you say."

      "No, it isn't." He says.

       "All right, so, y-your maker is set up to feed around here, right?" Dean takes money and a piece of paper from the wallet on the table. "Well, what are we looking for?" He puts the money in his pocket.

       "Well, he likes to live in style. He usually rents legitimately. Always remote, always coastal." Benny says.

       Dean unfolds the piece of paper. "So an island, maybe? You got a cable bill here. Hmm. Quentin's got the NFL package. Prentiss Island. Heard of it?" He asks.

      "Oh, yeah."

IMPALA
[ ☾]

       The Impala drives down a road. "Yeah, so, if you were your maker's favorite, why did he kill you?" Dean asks.

      "When you get turned, it's like you're reborn into a vampire nest. Your maker – he means everything to you." Benny takes a blood bag out of the ice chest. "I mean, you really start believing he's God. Now, if your maker happens to believe the same thing, well..." He drinks from the blood bag.

       "See how that could be a pickle." Dean says.

      "Mm."

       "Well, uh – you really have to do that? I mean, right now?" Dean grimaces slightly.

        Benny chuckles. "I'm sorry, brother. I'm better, but I'm still on the mend." He says.

       "Right."