3.

First Day

SENIOR YEAR

SENIOR YEAR. Alaska didn't understand every teenager's obsession with the fourth year of their time at high school. Sure, it was the most important year in a human's life, but she didn't see what all the fuss was about. Nonetheless, she planned on accompanying Elena, Caroline, and Bonnie on their first day of their last year of high school. With what had happened in the teens lives in the past year, Alaska was surprised they were so hell-bent on going through with senior year. And, since their 'senior prank night' didn't go as planned, ending with a power-hungry Hybrid on the loose, they were in constant danger wherever they went.

"Here we are. Senior year." Caroline frowned as they stood in front of the school. No one took the first step to their future, afraid of what was to come. And, as much as Alaska wanted to keep up her facade of being strong, on the inside she was scared beyond explanation. Sure, she was friends with the Hybrid and his family-if you could even call them that-but she had plenty to lose if she were to die without an explanation as to why.

Bonnie took notice of the short, awkward silence bestowed upon the four girls and broke it with her next few words. "Anyone else think it should feel slightly more empowering? This is our last year of high school, after all. Oh-other than Alaska, of course. She's had, what, three senior years?"

"Very funny, Bennett," Alaska said. She rolled her eyes, as she'd done for the hundredth time she entered this town. "You make me sound so old. Aside from that, I agree with the witch. You lot will accept the consequences of having a senior prank night when there is a Hybrid who wants to drain Elena of her blood, and move on. Come on, for some reason this is a memorable year for you three. Don't let Klaus, or anyone else for that matter, ruin it."

As she finished her slightly empowering speech, she hooked her arm with Elena and practically dragged her in order for her to start walking, the two girls following next to them. Bonnie agreed with what Alaska said. "You're right. I mean, why should I let the fact that my boyfriend, who is my best friend's brother, is seeing the ghost of his dead girlfriend hinder this experience."

"Yes!" Caroline also seemed to agree with the Rose girl's concept of cherishing her final year in high school. "And why should I let the fact that my boyfriend was turned into a hybrid put a damper on this otherwise fabulous day."

"You know what, I also agree," Elena said. "Why should I let the fact that Stefan and I met on the first day of school last year ruin my senior year."

Alaska seemed to want to contribute to their heartbreaking stories with a sort of funny one, simply to lighten the mood a bit. "I'm glad you all agree. As for me, why should I let the fact that Bonnie practically called me a grandma ruin my second senior year. Oh, and the fact that I'm friends with the Hybrid that probably wants to kill my newfound friends, but who cares about that. I am not your grandmother."