6.

Past Lives

THE ORIGINAL FAMILY

THE ORIGINAL FAMILY. Don't mistake the word 'original' placed in front of 'family,' for they were not the first family to appear on the earth. Neither did they have a reputation outside of the supernatural world. The name Original was given to them when their mother chose to make them immortal, all for her own selfish reasons. Her youngest son had left the world and, since she was a witch, she planned to make her remaining children immortal, a deed that would cause them to hate her with a burning passion. She made it so that they could not have their own families, so that their firstborns would not face the wrath of her sister.

Dahlia Bystrom was Esther's biological and only sister. Defined by her sister's firstborn, Dahlia was the most powerful witch she had come across. Freya Mikaelson was taken from Esther and given to her sister because of a bargain they made when she could not have children. Her sister had agreed to let Esther bare children in exchange for the firstborn of every generation of her children. She was painted the villain; all because she wanted to help the firstborns control their powers as witches.

Alondra Rose came into the family when she was just sixteen. She'd fled from her village after hearing her father speak of giving away her child to a poor family living on the outskirts of the village. It was either that or her father would sacrifice her child to the gods, a silly concept the girl did not believe in. Out of fear for her child's wellbeing, she came across a Viking village. There, she met Esther Mikaelson. The woman, kind as ever, took her in as her own. She raised her for the next six years, treating her with the same kindness and respect she treated her children with.

Mikael Mikaelson, her husband, took a certain liking to Alondra. He arranged for her to marry his eldest son, Finn, and was disheartened when she kindly declined his offer. Finn was already in love with a wondrous woman by the name of Salina, and she wished not to ruin that happiness for him. His relationship with the girl was short-lived, however, and she accepted Mikael's proposal. Whenever he had treated his bastard son Niklaus with any disrespect, Alaska would come to his rescue, which made him stop almost immediately.

She could make him do anything, all because he trusted her more than his own kin.

One night, precisely the day after Alondra's birthday, Esther came to her with an offer she could not refuse. For the past two years, the Original witch had been working on a spell in order to make her children immortal. In order to do so, she would have to have them drink the blood of someone powerful mixed with other herbs. Then, she would kill them. After she would do so, they would wake up feeling as powerful as ever. She warned Alaska that the spell had not been perfected and it would be risky, but the girl would do anything for the family that so kindly took her in.

Weeks later, Esther deemed the girl ready for the spell. She took her into an abandoned cottage outside of the village after a night of running around with Finn and Kol in the woods, holding the supplies needed for the spell close to her. They gathered into the cottage and the witch began the spell. She cut into her palm with Mikael's hunting knife, dropping it into a bowl of clay. In a small bottle next to her was a bit of Alondra's blood, which she also poured into the bowl.