16.

The Never-Ending End

ALASKA ROSE SAT ON HER BED, an old book in her hand

ALASKA ROSE SAT ON HER BED, an old book in her hand. Next to her lay her Grimoire, pages folded and sticky notes stuck on some pages. Putting the book down with a sigh, she rested her head against her headboard. Turning her head to the side, she looked at the time. 10:34 P.M. Her phone vibrated and she picked it up, reading the text over and over again to herself.

Meet me in Alaric's apartment. It's Urgent. -Elena

   She took her Grimoire and hid it in one of her drawers, quickly locking it before getting out of bed. She put on her coat and shoes, using her vampire speed to get to the hunter's loft. There she was met by Stefan and Elena standing in the middle of the apartment.

   "You called her? Seriously?" the younger vampire snapped, gesturing to Alaska.

   The hybrid rolled her eyes, leaning against the doorframe. "You aren't happy to see me, Stefan? Estoy herida."

   Elena stopped the two from bickering, stepping forward. "I called Alaska here because we need help. She's the only one who can give it to us."

   "Slight problem," she chipped in from outside of the loft, "I haven't been invited in."

   Stefan ushered her to the stairs with his hands. He was practically jumping with joy at the fact that the hybrid couldn't enter the apartment. "Great, uh, you can leave now."

   Alaska flicked his hands off her and shoved him into the apartment. Elena rolled her eyes at their antics and continued to search the apartment with the help of the Salvatore vampire. Alaska watched as the two bickered, feeling slightly envious that she couldn't be in there with the doppelgänger.

   Stefan then opened the drawer Elena stood in front of, Alaska perking up at the sound of rustling. In the drawer were pictures of the murders of Brian Walters and Bill Forbes, along with newspaper articles about the killings. She watched as Elena let out a surprised gasp and wanted more than anything to comfort her in her uncomfortable state, just like how she did when Klaus was after her.

   Alaska took notice of the yellow envelope in the drawer and motioned for Elena to bring it to her. Stefan tried not to show any annoyance for how she trusted the hybrid with anything. She then proceeded to pull out the pile of papers in the envelope and read the note attached to it.

   "'Jeremy, if anything happens to me, carry on my work. You have the other ring; let the ring make you strong. The council must be cleansed before the work can begin.' That little weasel," she muttered the last comment to herself, flipping through the pile of papers. She looked up at Elena, ignoring the Salvatore. "Looks like Alaric isn't the person you two thought he was. This is some kind of hit list for the members of the founder's council. Look through the drawer again; his wedding ring is somewhere in there."

   Once Elena found her ring, she held it tightly in her hand. "I have to get back."

   "I'm coming with you," Alaska said at the same time as Stefan said, "I'll come with you."

   After about five minutes of the two bickering, they decided to go to her house together. Alaska continued to bother the boy at any given moment, either messing up his hair with her hands or screwing around with his bloodlust. When the three appeared in front of Elena's house, the girl let them walk into the house, making a quick excuse to stay outside a moment longer. She heard grunts and struggle in the house and sped inside, watching as Stefan choked Alaric.

   "The Gilbert ring finally caught up to him, huh?" she questioned as she nudged his body with her foot. She caught scent of a familiar liquid and raised an eyebrow. She nodded her head towards the stairs. "I smell blood. You two go check where it's coming from, I'll stay here with Alaric."

   Elena exchanged one last glance with the vampire before taking her hand in hers, intertwining their fingers with a smile. She squeezed her hand in return, gesturing for her to follow the Salvatore up the stairs.

   The words of the night she spent with Elena three days prior the incident with Alaric played in her head. She thought back to what happened that night at her porch as her fingers traced the place where their hands had connected as one.

"Oh, screw it."

   "The hell do you mean, Gilbert?"

   Elena didn't answer and pulled the girl closer to her. She pulled her in by her hands and hugged her tightly. She breathed in the familiar scent of cinnamon, feeling at home and at ease, whereas the hybrid was confused.

   When she pulled away, their breaths mingled and greeted one another with empty yet meaningful promises. The hybrid hesitated, unsure of what to do. Elena then placed her hand on her cheek and kissed her.

   There were no fireworks or sparks as described by popular books and movies. No, the kiss was like two people meeting for the first time, unexpected yet comforting. It was as if it was magic and the two were drawn to each other.

   Much to the younger one's disappointment, it was short-lived. "Oh," Alaska succumbed, "you better not hurt me, Elena Gilbert."

"Hey." She heard the voice of the girl she'd given into three days ago. "Damon's up there with Alaric."

   Alaska nodded and sat down on the steps of the girl's porch. She patted the space next to her, inviting her to sit with her. When she did the older girl put her hand on her shoulder, playing with her fingers.

   Elena held her gently, as if she were the most expensive jewel she owned. She gazed at her with an emotion she could not decipher. Finally, she picked her chin up softly and the two looked at each other. This time Alaska made the first move and their lips met again. They fit perfectly, being the best distraction in a world of supernaturals.

   No sparks flew and no fireworks ignited, but they had each other in the end.