9.

Farewell, Alaska

THIS WAS A HELL OF A MISTAKE

THIS WAS A HELL OF A MISTAKE. Alaska did not want Klaus to be hurt by Mikael's words, and did not want her to let her walls come crashing down because of the cunning vampire. She was the first to notice his reawakening, sitting back in her chair. He coughed and sputtered. At that moment she knew he was weak and reveled in the sight, a smirk settled upon her face. Her face was the first he saw once he awoke, wanting to say something to her but not knowing what. Perhaps it was an apology for leaving her alone in Chicago, or a sentence to declare his victory. Either way, Alaska did not want to hear it.

"Alaska," he started, completely ignoring his daughter who sat on the couch next to her.

"Save it," she snapped. "I don't have the time or the patience to put up with your bullshit. Nothing you say matters to me. Not anymore. I remember how this family was before I aided you and Esther into turning them into vampires, and I have never regretted anything more. They were better off before you turned them into monsters. Know this, Niklaus is my family. You go after him; you go after me, too."

"That's not how it was in Chicago," he said, mirroring her smirk. "Or have you completely forgotten how you betrayed that bastard again and again by siding with me?"

Rebekah stopped Alaska when she saw her inching towards the Original, shaking her head. The hybrid glared at the two and sped out of the boarding house, irritated by the two to no end. She didn't understand why Rebekah would want her brother dead after standing beside him for a thousand years. It was another level of betrayal Alaska would never breach. But she knew Rebekah would never actually kill him, she loved him too much.

As much as she loved pulling Nik's leg, she would never wish death upon him. Although the others saw him as a monster, she saw the good in him. Sure, she knew he could not change his ways, but she didn't want him to change them. The violence and anger in him made him who he was today. If he didn't have that, he had nothing. He'd have no emotions, simply because the anger he had towards his father set them off. She'd thought back to when they were young and human-back to when they were actually happy.

Alondra ran through the woods, giggles escaping her pink lips. Next to her was Rebekah, trying to catch up with her. Behind them ran Niklaus and Elijah, laughing merrily as the girls turned corners. Aurora stopped next to a large tree to catch her breath, watching as Rebekah and Elijah ran ahead.

"Got you!" the blonde boy exclaimed. He wrapped his large arms around her from the back, laughing when she shrieked.

She turned in his arms, hitting his right arm playfully. "That was so unfair, Nik! You didn't even give me time to catch my breath."

"Oh, please," he said, "you just can't admit the fact that I beat you."

They laughed at their antics, still in each other's arms. Their laughter slowed, ending with a small giggle from the older boy. He caught her eye and felt himself melt in her arms. She was beautiful, the most beautiful girl he'd ever seen. He didn't know he'd leaned in closer to her until she turned her head and backed out of his grip.