7.

Past Lives (Cont'd)

[REBEKAH] . . . "My mother and Alaska were both witches. My mother was the witch of the Original family. The Original witch. And Alaska was the Rose Witch, known as the Witch of the Withered Rose in other folklore. I'm not a witch, though. A witch is nature's servant. A vampire is an abomination of nature. You can either be one or the other, never both."

"Then, how come Alaska is both witch and vampire?" the doppelganger asked.

Rebekah answered, feeling slightly uncomfortable as she spoke her next few words:

"The serpent. During the first spell, my mother made a mistake. The serpent's blood gave Alaska the choice to rid her of her heart and, instead, place her powers as a witch in a locket that she never takes off. Alaska wanted to be powerful, and so she pulled her heart out. She got her wish. The essence of her heart still remains, however. She is a vampire on the brink of turning off their switch, yet she has no switch.

It makes her invincible.

Alaska is one of the most powerful witches I have ever come across. Her powers make it so that she is completely immortal. But I've already said too much on the matter. The rest you will have to ask yourself since, to this day, she doesn't trust me enough to tell me how her story ends.

Anyways, my mother did this for us. She did not turn. She called upon the sun for life and the ancient white oak tree, one of nature's eternal objects, for immortality. That night, my father offered us wine laced with blood. And then he drove his sword through our hearts. He killed us. And he wasn't delicate about it either.

We had to drink more blood to complete the ritual. It was euphoric. The feeling of power was indescribable. But the witch Ayana, who Alaska had saved after snapping her neck, was right about the consequences. The spirits turned on us, and nature fought back. For every strength, there would be a weakness. Unlike Alaska, who was immune to the glare of the burning sun, the sun became our enemy. It kept us indoor for weeks. And then my mother found a solution.

There were other problems. Neighbors who had opened their homes to us could now keep us out. Flowers at the base of the white oak burned and prevented compulsion. And the spell decreed that the tree that gave us life could also take it away. So we burned it to the ground.

The darkest consequence was something my parents never anticipated-the hunger. Blood had made us reborn, and it was blood that we craved above all else. We could not control it. And with that the predatory species was born."

"Why did Mikael start hunting Klaus?" Elena asked the burning question.

"When Nik made his first human kill, it triggered his werewolf gene. With that, he became my father's biggest shame."