14.

Blood Dance

THE ORIGINAL FAMILY WAS ALWAYS ONE FOR THE DRAMATICS

THE ORIGINAL FAMILY WAS ALWAYS ONE FOR THE DRAMATICS. Their theatrical approach at conversation was inspired by Mikael who was always careful when it came to the way he presented himself. Pride was also a big aspect to the family, along with the promise that would bind them together unconditionally. It wasn't expected that they'd consider a stranger of no blood relation the equivalent of their family, but that's what Alaska Rose was to them.

Elena noticed their elegant invitation to their ball on her front door and recognized the calligraphy as the one of the girl she had taken a liking to. She read the invitation to herself, sitting on her bed.

Please join the Mikaelson Family this evening at seven o'clock for dancing, cocktails, & celebration.

She took the box from under it and read the note taped onto it:

Elena, I do hope you are able to join us. Attached to this letter is a box that I suppose you have already taken notice of. Inside it is a pair of gloves and a dress I would love to see on you, assuming you arrive. Alaska.

Elena broke out in a grin when she saw the expertly designed dress in the box. She traced her fingers along the material, admiring its beauty. To have Alaska do something like this made her feel happier than she'd like to admit and brought butterflies to her stomach. She giddily went to try it on, knowing she'd wear it to the ball.

With the help of her friends, Elena had managed to find jewelry that matched the dress and arrived at the ball making quite the entrance. Alaska noticed her wearing the dress and smiled. Predictable, she thought. Unfortunately, she got to Elena after the Salvatores did and greeted her. Ignoring the unbearable Salvatore brothers, she placed a kiss on her knuckles, enjoying the way she blushed after she did. Alaska then outstretched her arm towards the girl.

"Shall we?" Elena motioned to the two brothers uncomfortably standing next to them and Alaska kept in a laugh. "You don't expect me to escort the brothers who organized my temporary death into my home, do you? They can find their own way around this mansion."

Elena sent an apologetic look to the brothers and connected her arm with Alaska's. Together the two swiftly found their way to the crowd and stopped near the drinks bar. The doppelgänger took a glass of wine, as did the hybrid.

Finn approached the two girls, introducing himself to Elena. "You must be the girl who's gotten Alondra so smitten. I'm Finn Mikaelson."

The girl hit his shoulder without caring as to how hard she hit him and lightly pushed him to where Elijah stood on the staircase with the rest of the Mikaelsons. Elena laughed and watched as they stood on the staircase in an orderly fashion as if they'd been rehearsing for a while.

"Why aren't you up there?" she questioned. "You're family."

"I'm not a Mikaelson, Elena."

She left the conversation at that and gestured for the girl to listen to Elijah speak. He held a glass of wine in his hands as he spoke, "Welcome. Thank you for joining us. Well, uh, there seems to be a member of our family missing. Alondra Rose, if you may."

She raised an eyebrow in surprise and Elena nudged her forward with a smile. "I told you, you're their family."

Alaska sent a smile to the girl as she walked up the stairs, standing next to Elijah as he continued speaking. "You know, whenever my mother brings our family together like this, it's tradition for us to commence the evening with a dance. Tonight's pick is a centuries-old waltz, so if all of you could please find yourselves a partner, please join us in the ballroom."

After he was finished, Alaska hugged him and went to dance with Elena. The doppelgänger secretly admired the way she carried herself and led the dance. Her red dress moved along her as the two danced across the ballroom. Being the only two girls to dance together they were bound to be given attention to, but neither girl minded. They just waltzed their hearts out.

"You're gorgeous," Elena breathed out.

Alaska chuckled, twirling her before pulling her closer than before. While the others had switched partners the two stayed together, not missing the looks of envy from the Salvatore brothers as they danced with unfamiliar women. They danced close together, closer than what was required for the waltz.

"If it isn't obvious"-her breath fanned Elena's ear-"your two boyfriends seem to be quite jealous of our close proximity. I don't know about you, but I love messing with them."

She twirled her once more, this time letting her fall into the arms of someone else. That someone happened to be Caroline. The watching eyes drifted away from the two girls dancing, only enjoying the affection shared by the first pair of girls. She uncomfortably danced with her friend, wanting to go back to dancing with Alaska.

"What the hell are you doing?" Caroline demanded. "Why are you here with the she-devil? We all thought she was dead, and you come here all friendly, dancing with her."

Elena cleared her throat, averting her eyes from Caroline's. "I trust her, Caroline. And don't act innocent; I know you're here with Klaus. If I can't dance with my devil, why can you?"

Speaking of the hybrid . . . she was dancing with Rebekah. The Original was staring at Caroline's dress, wondering why her brother would ever hand over an old dress to a random girl he met. On top of that, she was sure Caroline didn't even care for her brother. If she did, she wouldn't side with the people who wanted the Mikaelsons dead.

"You almost crushed my hand there, Rebekah," said Alaska. She watched as Elena began dancing with Stefan. "I think we all know Caroline looks beautiful tonight-stop staring."

Rebekah rolled her eyes, distancing herself from the hybrid. "Of course she looks beautiful. Everything she's wearing came straight from your old closet. I won't say I'm sorry for attacking Elena last night because I'm not. Just know that if she does anything to harm my family, I will stop at nothing to make sure she suffers."

"You forget, Rebekah. It's my family, too."

"Over my dead body it is."

Nearly an hour later, the guests had gathered in front of the staircase, chatting idly. Alaska stood beside Elena, a glass of champagne in her hands. She smelled the familiar aroma of blood in her glass and frowned, unaware of what was actually in the glass. Bringing it to her nose, she felt the fragrance of Elena's blood attack her sinuses and glared at Esther who was bounding down the stairs.

She held a glass of the crimson-colored champagne in her hand with a smile. "Good evening, Ladies, Gentlemen, and others. Waiters are coming around with champagne. I invite you all to join me in raising a glass. It provides me with no greater joy than to see my family back together as one. I'd like to thank you all for being part of this spectacular evening. Cheers."

Alaska brought the glass of champagne to her lips and went to drink it. Elena sent her a hesitant look as the hybrid took a sip of the red liquid in the glass. She sighed when the hybrid downed the rest of her drink, raising the glass to Esther as she took another from the waiters holding trays.

The only way for her to survive the night of being linked with the rest of the Mikaelsons was if she got drunk off expensive champagne.