4.

Sharing Blood

MUSIC PLAYED LOUD

MUSIC PLAYED LOUD. The sound of teenagers chatting and having fun surrounded the clearing in the woods. As any one of their parties would be like, the kids were drinking large amounts of alcohol. Amongst them were always the supernatural, the majority which would scarf down the cheap alcohol in their red, plastic cups to the last drop. It was similar to a Ripper's way of feeding on his prey, except these creatures amongst normal humans were simply in the woods to lose themselves. Parties were one of the only places where they were able to get away with anything.

Bonfires were one of Alaska's favorite parts of being young and adventurous. Much like a friend she once had, she enjoyed the different traditions that came with burning wood in backyards. Unfortunately, the vampire was alone. She had no living family, making her the last of her blood. Her bonfires were usually spent alone as she wallowed in sadness and nostalgia, missing her days as a human. It wasn't fair. She wasn't given a choice when she was turned, and that wasn't fair.

Humans took everything for granted. After living over a thousand years on this earth with no way of actually dying, Alaska had gathered that humans were one of the most ungrateful creatures she had ever come across. They'd been given a life, a life where they could procreate, and love, and live. Instead of cherishing it and making the most of it, they'd throw away their lives for the stupidest things. She'd seen people ruin their entire lives over addictions and obsessions. If she were human, she would be different. If she were human, she would learn to love.

There they were. The ifs. She couldn't escape them, no matter how hard she tried. Somehow, she'd always think of them. They'd take up her mind and leave her with nothing but endless thought of what could've. Then, she'd think. Could she actually be a responsible human? Could she actually be capable of love as a Hybrid whom everyone feared? If she knew the answer, she'd be happy and content. But she didn't. So, she lived out her days as a vampire-witch everyone learned to fear. Alaska Rose would never be human, and she was slowly learning to accept her fate as a fearless Hybrid. Still, it was lonely.

When she went to get another drink, she was stopped by none other than the doppelganger she'd become good friends with. The girl took the drink from Alaska's hands, ignoring her protests, and lifted it to her lips. In one swift flick of her hand, she downed the entire drink. The Rose was impressed, to say the least. She never expected Elena to be the getting drunk type. Then again, she didn't know what to expect with the girl who'd just stolen her drink. She was just full of surprises.

"You stole my drink. Know what that means?" she said. A chuckle escaped her perfect, red lips. She nodded towards the barrel full of alcoholic drinks. Her outstretched hand held her red cup Elena had given back after she so mercilessly drank the remaining contents of it. "You owe me a drink, doppelganger."

She watched as the girl playfully rolled her eyes and went to get their drinks to pull out her phone. Her finger hovered over the contact, unsure of whether to call the person or just forget about them. Elena seemed to make the choice for her, returning with two drinks in her hand. She hastily put down her phone and accepted the drink from her friend, letting out a, "Cheers," before taking a sip of the drink. She tasted a heavy amount of Lobelia flower in her drink, causing her to spit it out immediately.

"What's wrong?" Elena asked, concerned. She didn't know of the Lobelia flower in the drink she'd given her, and the Hybrid could see that. She suddenly felt weak, having to hold onto Elena's shoulder for assistance. The girl was confused and worried. She didn't know why Alaska was acting like this, and was scared of the outcome. The Rose's eyes drooped and Elena panicked.

"Elena," she started her words slurred and weak. She winced, hating the way she felt so helpless. Her throat burned and she could feel the veins protrude from under her eyes. Her voice came out muffled, "I need blood."

Her friend contemplated what to do next. In her time with vampires, she knew she had to take the girl away from the public eye. She pulled her up and let her lean on her shoulder, dragging her deeper into the woods where no one was to be seen. She led her to the Lockwood cellar, around twenty feet away from the bonfire. She watched her closely. Pale was her skin, almost as pale as Caroline's, which made Elena panic even more than she already was. She didn't know what to do.

Suddenly, an idea came to her. She held her wrist out to Alaska and ignored her protests once again as she pushed it closer to her mouth. When the Hybrid gave her a look, the doppelganger simply nodded and gestured toward her wrist, as if to say go ahead.

Elena tried her best not to yell out in pain as she felt her friend's fangs pierce through her skin, cutting through her vein. She held her close as her blood was sucked out of her. It felt like forever until Alaska pulled away. Almost immediately, she felt guilty. Elena didn't have to offer her blood to the vampire, but she did anyway because she actually cared for her health. It was nice to have that-someone who cared.

"Here," she said. Alaska bit into her wrist and let Elena swallow some of her blood. Vampire blood had special qualities, one of which would heal any injury. As soon as Elena's bite marks on her wrist cleared up and healed, the girl lightened the frightening mood. "Hey, now all you gotta do is start trying your best not to die and you'll stay a human. Although, I gotta say, that was kinky."

When she winked, Elena laughed her heart out. She was like Damon in the sense that their humor was quite alike (the doppelgänger wasn't a huge fan of the Salvatore). Nonetheless, Elena was happy to have a friend who, although she wasn't human, would let her feel normal. At least, as normal as she could feel after letting her aforementioned friend feed on her blood.

"This is nice," Elena admitted. "I don't think I've truly laughed in a while. Everything going on with Klaus and Stefan has taken such a toll on me. It wasn't supposed to be this way, you know? I had the perfect relationship with Matt, the perfect parents, my best friends were normal. Weirdly enough, I wouldn't take it back. I think we're closer now, especially since any one of us could die at any given moment."

Alaska chuckled at how quick the Gilbert girl could darken the mood. "Way to ruin the mood, Elena. Shouldn't you get back to whatever your business is with the Salvatore boys? Heard you were supposed to help Damon and Alaric get Stefan in that dungeon back at the Boarding House."

"It's weird how I'm used to sentences like that," Elena said, joking around. They laughed once more, both glad to have someone to joke around with outside of their usual circle. The doppelganger then said, "I don't think anyone's actually gotten around to trust you yet. I know Caroline's a bit skeptical, and Bonnie has a hard time trusting vamps. But, if it's any consolation, I trust you."

"Wow, Elena. It's been not even been two days and we're halfway to third base. We work fast." Alaska winked and Elena chuckled full-heartedly.

"This is the start of a tragically beautiful friendship, isn't it?" she said.

"That it is, doppelganger."