15 - Sammy Vino and Charlie Brown's Heart.

Joy sat back in her chair with her legs crossed politely and her hair flowing in golden waves down her shoulders. She was in the corner of the room in an elegant black dress that dripped in both the front and back, just barely hanging on her shoulders by golden clasps worth more than most women's wedding rings. She didn't have to be a genius to know all eyes were on her. She was Clarissa Joy, whore turned housewife and one of the most beautiful women in the underworld of Chicago.

She knew what her sanding was. She knew all eyes were on her not out of respect, but out of either curiosity of what was under her dress of a jealous hatred for the power she had over them simply because she was pretty. The fact of the matter was this woman had a lot to think about but, at the moment, the only thing she could think of was the ruthless man in front of her. 

Six feet of tanned skin wrapped around raw muscle. Eyes as green as grass hidden beneath long, wet lashes. And clean white teeth covered by pink lips moved into a perfect smirk. 

This was the face of the man who ruled Chicago, the man who laid her down at night and used her as he pleased, the man who claimed he loved her and who she was supposed to love back, the man who terrified her more than any other to walk this earth.

This was the face of Sammy Vino.

"Where were you the other day?" His voice was just as smooth as the skin covering him but there was a calmness to it that was chilling. Joy knew no matter her answer, he would be upset with her. She'd left when she was instructed not too. And to make it worse, she left to see Ray. 

Sammy slid his sculpted arms into the white fabric of his shirt, the buttons falling loosely in front go his chest and paling compared to his glowing skin. He turned, his eyes landing on her, and Joy swallowed. Fighting her bodies' command to stay still, she stood up with confident steps and strode over to him, the dress she wore falling behind her like a train. Her fingers were nimble as she reached for the buttons on his shirt and brought them together as they were meant to be. 

"I went out with some friends. We partied a bit too hard and I crashed at Rowan's. Why, baby, did you miss me?" She was trying for seduction and, as she leaned in and just barely brushed her lips across Sammy's, to the others in the room she succeeded. Clarissa Joy was the walking definition of perfection and she knew it. She knew how to use the curves of her body, the pink of her lips, and the tone of her voice. She could have any man or woman fall to her feet in submission if she pleased.

Except Sammy Vino.

"You tell me you stayed the night at Charlie Brown's house and then ask me if I should be worried?" his green eyes traveled the expanse of her body before they met her blue ones and froze her where she stood. "Should I be?"

Joy swallowed the dryness in her throat. "He wouldn't hurt me, Sammy. He knows better."

For just a moment his eyes lit up and Joy watched as his lips split apart and he laughed, his chest vibrating under her hands. He gripped her by the dress on her waist and pulled her closer into him as he leaned forward, kissing the chill bumps on her neck before stopping to whisper, "It's not him hurting you that I'm worried about."

As often as Joy would deny it and as indifferent to her as he seemed, Sammy knew Joy was in love with Ray. He wasn't stupid and, despite his lack of understanding, Sammy was aware of how drawn to Ray women were. It didn't bother him really, it's not like Sammy was anywhere close to committed to Joy anyway, but there had to be some understanding there. 

At the end of the day, Sammy Vino was the one who controlled Chicago. And no matter what his relationship was with Ray or Joy, he'd kill them both if he felt disrespected.