Lena

"Hope? I need to leave for a few hours."

Her head turned from the window to me. She had a curious but wary look in her eye. I walked over to her.

"Remember I told you about Luke's mate, Lena? She'll be here to keep you company."

Hope grabbed my hand and started nervously playing with my fingers. I gently squeezed her hand trying to reassure her.

"Lena is a very kind and gentle person. You don't have to worry about anything."

She still didn't look too sure.

"Blake will be here with you too."

Her eyes lit up when I mentioned Blake. But she still was hesitating.

"How about I give you a cell phone?"

She just stared at me with a confused look. Right, she probably doesn't know what it is.

"It's something you can use to contact me. Here, I'll show you."

I pulled out my phone and handed it to her. She took it and flipped it around in her hand. She focused closely on it. Suddenly, her face went blank and she had a faraway look in her eyes.

"Hope? Hope?"

I waved my hand in front of her face. She finally snapped out of whatever she was remembering. She looked over at me scared.

"M-Master...said..."

I stiffened at the name. I leaned closer to Hope.

"What did he say?"

She frowned trying to remember.

"Lake...water...Winter Lake?"

My eyes widened. Winter Lake was where our main water source comes from.

"Good. What else can you remember?"

She frowned and shook her head. I guess she will remember more with some time. The sound of the doorbell reached my ears.

"Lena is here. Come let's go and meet her."

I helped her downstairs and opened the door.

"Lena! Thanks for coming."

"You know it's no trouble for me, Daniel."

Lena was a tall woman even for a werewolf. She had brown hair with red tips and hazel eyes. She moved here a few years ago after she mated Luka. Those two were a perfect match for each other.

She peered over my shoulder to get a look at Hope who was hiding behind me.

"Oh! What a cutie pie!"

I moved aside so Hope wasn't hidden by me. Hope was looking down and was fidgeting with her fingers.

"Hope, this is Lena. You don't have to worry. She's not going to hurt you, alright?"

Hope quickly looked at Lena then her gaze went back to her feet.

"Well it's nice to meet you Hope! I know that we'll be great friends."

Lena turned towards me and gestured towards the door.

"Now as for you, get going! Everyone is waiting on you. Don't worry, I'll take good care of Hope."

When Luke and I came back roughly 3 hours later, we found Hope, Lena and Blake curled up on blankets sleeping. There were bags of chips and candies spread out on the floor. Luke quickly picked out his cellphone and started taking pictures.

"Send those to me later." I whispered.

I reached over to Hope to check her temperature. I placed my hand carefully on her forehead then touched her neck with the back of my hand. Luke stepped closer with a worried look on his face.

"How is she?"

"Not great but not bad."

Luke had a frown on his face. It's only natural for the beta to care deeply for his luna. A quiet voice broke my train of thought.

"Hi."

Lena had her eyes open and was gazing at us. She got up carefully trying not to wake Hope and Blake. We headed over to the kitchen so we could talk. I stood my back against the stove while Luke and Lea sat at the island counter.

"Thanks for watching over her, Lena."

"Don't thank me. She is a delight to be around."

"How was she?"

"She was very quiet at first. I got her to open up to me a little. I can tell she has a lot she wants to say but she's holding back."

"Did she eat?"

"Not really. She munched on some chips but that's it. I offered her more but she just refused."

I sighed heavily and ran my hands through my hair. I walked over and sat at the island counter on the opposite side of my betas.

"Jacques said she's going to have health issues for a long time because of all the damage that was done to her body."

Luke became enraged at what I said.

"How dare that bastard do this to her! I'm going to tear him apart!"

Lena placed a hand on his back to calm him down. His tense muscles instantly relaxed and he calmed down.

"Daniel, what about her mental health? The damage could be deeper than she let's us see."

Just as I was going to voice my opinion, a quiet cough interrupted me. I looked over to the kitchen entrance and saw Hope with a light blanket around her shoulder standing there. I instantly opened my arms for her. She made her way slowly towards me. When she was close enough, I sat her on my lap and wrapped my arms around her.

"Hey there, sweetheart. Did you have fun with Lena? I told you she was nice."

Hope looked up to me with a smile on her face and nodded. She looked over towards Luke and waved at him. He waved back eagerly back at her. Lena giggled softly at the goofy look on his face.

"I'm glad you enjoyed yourself. Are you hungry?"

She nodded. I felt relieved at her answer. Luke quickly jumped to his feet and headed to the fridge.