Confession

Chapter 22 - Confession

Daniel POV
When I opened eyes the first thing I saw was the red numbers of my digital clock. It took a few seconds for my still half asleep brain to comprehend what the red symbols meant.

12:23 am.

It was past midnight. I can sleep for a few hours. I tried to settle back to sleep but the light from the sun was bothering me. I pulled the blanket over my head to hide from the bright rays.

But why is the sun out during the night?

I quickly sat up when I realized what was going on. It was past noon! I haven’t overslept in weeks. Hope usually has me up in the morning. I rolled over to her side. She was still sleeping which was weird. She is normally up early in the morning. I placed a hand on her shoulder and shook her gently. But  she didn’t wake up. I started to panic and called her name over and over.

She finally responded after a few seconds. She blinked here eyes a few times and moaned softly. I let out a quiet relieved sigh. I placed my hand on her forehead to check her temperature.

“Are you cold?”

She nodded her head. Her eyes weren’t completely focused on me. She looked like she was about to fall back asleep. I wanted to let her sleep but she needed to eat. I hurried over to the closet and pulled out a spare blanket and laid it in top of the one she was using.

“I’m going to grab some food for you. Try and stay awake, okay?”

I turned in the television hoping it would help her stay awake. I quickly made my way to the kitchen. It took me a few minutes to decide what to make for Hope. I didn’t want to give something that would upset her stomach. She hasn’t vomited as much recently but I still want to be careful. I settled for some oatmeal and a small fruit salad. I made my way back upstairs.

Hope was sitting up in bed leaning against the pillows watching the television. I placed the tray of food carefully on her lap. She looked down at the food then at me. I encouraged her to try and eat. She hesitated before grabbing the spoon and started eating the oatmeal and the fruits. She seemed to enjoy the fruits more. I said the name of each fruit as she tried it. I thought that she would have said something by now. But she hasn’t said a word yet. Is she tired? Does just not feel like talking?
I removed the tray and placed it on the bedside table when she finished eating. What should I do with her today? It might be too soon to go outside. Maybe we c-

“Daniel. I want to die.”