Daniel

Chapter 2 - Daniel

I'm floating. I feel peaceful. Nothingness surrounds me. Am I dead? It's dark and cold. Is this it? Am I just going to float here forever? I thought I would meet the Great Goddess Luna or something.

Suddenly I felt a warm pressure on my hand. It's pulling me, I think. Slowly, bit by bit I could feel my human body.

Oh dear Luna, it hurts! No, I don't want to wake up! Please!

"-ke up please."

My eyelids feel so heavy. I let out a weak painful whimper.

"Doc! I think sh-"

That voice. It's familiar but everything seems muffled.

"-dy not healing. Needs a lot of re-"

I heard another voice. It's a man. No no no no! I'm scared! He's going to hurt me. I tried to move but everything hurts. I could feel tears running down my cheeks and a warm hand on my forehead.

"Shhhh, calm down. You're safe. I promise." says the familiar voice.

I bolted up and saw two tall men looking at me. I think one was a doctor. It felt like my heart was going to explode, it's beating so fast. I quickly scrambled off the queen size bed, on to the wooden floor and crawled in a corner of the green colored room. I pulled my knees up to my chest and wrapped my thin arms around them. Trying to make myself as small as possible. I can see one of the men approach me. I let out a whimper and pulled my body tighter.

"Hey, it's alright. No need to be afraid."

I can't speak in my human form; my voice box was damaged a while ago to keep me from screaming but I can make small sounds. A small growl escapes from me. But he didn't stop getting closer. Why doesn't he understand? I started hyperventilating. He's going to hurt me. He kneeled in front of me.

"Please calm down. You're bleeding."

It was true. I was bleeding quite a bit through the clothes that covered my sickly body. He reached his big hand out to touch me. But I flinched away. He paused.

"I want to help you."

I tried backing up some more but there was no more room behind me. I don't want his help. I don't want anyone to touch me. I can't handle it. I'm blacking out. I think I lost too much blood. I feel numb. My eye lids feel heavy.

"Hey! Don't close your eyes! Please do-"

I didn't hear the end of that sentence. I passed out.

I woke up later in that same room, on the same bed. The room was empty. I need to find a way out of here. I looked around the room. It was ... nice and clean. Strangely enough, I felt peaceful. The smell in the room calmed my nerves. I'm so confused. I lifted the dark green duvet blankets off of me. Somehow I was wearing black sweatpants and a long sleeved shirt that were way too big on my small frame. I tried standing up but a sharp pain traveled up my spine and I cried out then collapsed harshly on the floor. Suddenly, I heard thumping coming quickly from outside the room. I panicked my cry must have alerted somebody. I crawled into the closet and hid underneath the clothes. The door to the room opened then closed. The person paused then headed over to my hiding place. He gently pulled the clothes from on top of me. I was frozen stiff.

"Hey, there you are. This is a good hiding place." he smiled softly at me.

The familiarity of his voice made me look up at his face. When I looked in to his brown eyes, I felt completely entranced. They seemed to suck me in. I just stared. He sat down and crossed his legs and kept smiling at me. That smile was warm. I was confused why would he smile at such an ugly thing like me?

"What's your name?" he said softly

I didn't reply. I couldn't. He ignored my silence and kept on rambling on about himself. His name was Daniel. He's 20 years old. Likes the color purple, swimming and eating. His voice was soothing. I pulled a sweater from the floor and covered myself up and leaned my head on the inner wall of the closet and watched Daniel speak. I felt calm and relaxed. I let out a yawn. He chuckled.

"Are you sleepy?"

I nodded my head. Why did I even reply? Aren't I supposed to be scared of this stranger? Why do I feel like this?

"Can you walk?"

I shook my head slowly. Judging by the numbing pain flowing through my body, there's no way I'd be able to move on my own.

"OK. I'll lift you up, but I need to touch you. Can I touch you?"

I shook my head. He stared at me pleadingly but I still refused. He got up and headed towards the bed. He pulled off all the bedding and headed back over to me slowly while holding the bedding in his muscular arms. He dropped the bedding on the floor then arranged them.

"Here you go! Since I can't bring you to the bed, I brought the bed to you."

He had a huge smile on his face. What a strange man. I slowly crawled out of the closet and sat on the makeshift bed on the floor. As I looked up, I paused. He was so close, too close. My hands started to shake. Daniel quickly got the message and backed up. There was at least 10 feet between us. I calmed down a bit. I think this is closest anyone, who wasn't trying to hurt me, has ever been.

"There you go, now try to get some sleep. OK?"

I clenched my abdomen tightly in pain as my stomach gurgled. I haven't eaten in a long time. In fact, I don't remember the last time I had a meal. Daniel got up and rushed out of the room. He came back holding something on a tray. As he got closer, the smell of soup drifted in to my nose. It smelt so good. He kneeled down at my side, a little closer than he was before he left. He placed the tray on my lap.

"You must be hungry. It's chicken soup." he said gently.

I just stared at the bowl. Why is he doing this? I am not allowed to eat. They never let me eat anything other than a bit of bread. I gently put the tray on the floor between us and laid down. Daniel looked at me so sadly, I felt an odd pain in my chest at the look he was giving me.

"What are you doing? Aren't you hungry? I made this for you. Your stomach is still growling. Please at least try it then you can sleep."

I ignored him as my eyes closed. He was different. Maybe something good was finally happening to me. I shook my head internally, what was I thinking? Nothing good ever happens to me. I can't trust him. He will only hurt me.