Pretty

Chapter 24 Pretty

“Hello? Anyone home? “

Lena poked her head inside the room. She had a teasing smile on her face. She wore a light green dress. It looked nice on her. Do all females wear dresses? Am I supposed to wear a dress too? I motioned for her to come in. She set down a black and white box that she was carrying on the floor near the door. She sauntered over to the bed and laid down right beside me. I didn’t really feel like having company, but I wanted a distraction from my thoughts.

“How are you feeling?” she asked.

I just shrugged. I don’t want to talk about my body anymore. This useless, ugly, and weak body of mine. I pulled the soft fleece blanket tighter around my shoulders.

“I thought that I could style your hair for you today Hope.” She pointed over to the box she brought in with her.

My hair? Why does she mean by style. Is my hair not good? Daniel washed it a few times since I came here. He said he liked how black it was.

“Why?” I whispered.

She beamed a smile at me.

“I liked changing my hair style every once in awhile. Just before this my hair was pink!”

I frowned at her answer. Pink? How did she get her hair to turn pink? I guess she must have guessed what I was thinking because of the expression on my face.

“There are things you can put in you hair to make it change colour! We can try it out one day but today I just wanted to trim and even out your hair. You will look so pretty!”

I reluctantly agreed to whatever she planned on doing to my hair. I don’t really like or even care about my hair. I’ve already hurt one person today. I don’t want to hurt her too by refusing.  She clapped her hands together excitedly. I noticed that her nails were different colours. Was that also one of things she did to herself to look ‘pretty’?

She helped me sit on a low back chair she brought in from another room. She placed her box on the bed and took out a shiny metal tool. I forgot the name but I’ve seen it before. It cuts things in pieces. I held back a shudder when a memory flashed before my eyes. I rubbed my left thigh nervously. I had to remind myself that I wasn’t with Master anymore and Lena wouldn’t hurt me.

I jumped a little when I felt something wet touch my head and the back of my neck.

“Relax, I’m just spraying your hair with water a little.”

The room was filled with sound of little light snips form the metal cutting tool and Lena humming softly. Little bits of hair fell around my shoulders and feet. It wasn’t long until the ‘hair styling’ was over. She cleaned up the fallen hair off the floor.

“Here take a look in this mirror.”

I held the small reflecting glass, or mirror as she called it, she handed me to my head. My hair stopped just below my chin. It was… okay, I guess. I quickly turned over the mirror and rested it on my lap.

“What do you think?” she asked

“Thank you. It is… Good.”

She frowned and knelt down on the floor. She took back the mirror from me and directed at me. I quickly averted my eyes. I didn’t want to look at myself.

“Hope, you barely looked at yourself you know that you are gorgeous, right?”

I clenched my fist tightly and closed my eyes then took a deep breath.

“I don’t feel well right now. I want to sleep.” I tried smiling a little at her.

She seemed taken aback by my reaction but smiled all the same.

“Of course. You must be tired. I’ll leave you to rest.”

She helped me back in to bed and with a small wave left the room closing the door behind her. As soon as she was gone, I started crying.