Burning up

Chapter 3 – BurningUp

Daniel's POV

After she fell asleep, I just sat there and stared at her. She looks so small and fragile. It hurts me so much to see my mate in this state. It's really, really bad.

The pack doctor, Jacques, said that she was abused for years. There's no denying it. Her body is stick thin, every bone sticks out, and it's quite scary. She is covered in scars and old and new wounds. It makes my blood boil, just thinking about all my small mate has been through alone. Jacques said that physically it's going to take a long time for her to recover, if she makes it through the next few days. Her life is hanging by a tread. Mentally, judging by her earlier fit, we don't know what's going to happen.

Normally, our werewolf genes would heal us quite quickly but in her case, she is healing slower than a human. I'm worried out of my mind. But I knew I would be there for her every step of the way. It was my job as her mate to protect her and help her no matter what.

Girl's POV

My eyes are still closed but I feel too hot. My body feels hot and clammy. My chest hurts. I squirm around weakly trying to get the heavy blankets off of me. They're too heavy for me to move. I was hot! Tears start streaming down my cheeks as I whimpered. What's wrong with me? Then I feel cool air against me as the blankets seemed to disappear.

"What's wrong? Are you OK?"

Daniel.

I curled up in to fetal position. Then I felt a warm and comforting hand touch my forehead. I was surprised that I didn't flinch at the sudden contact but relaxed a bit. I liked his touch. I know I shouldn't but I couldn't help it.

"Oh Luna! You are burning up! JACQUES!" he yelled.

I think I'm getting hotter. My mouth feels dry and there's a nasty taste too. A weak whimper escapes my mouth.

I peeked open my eyes as I heard the door open and closed. A new set of feet approached me.

"Hey there, little one. I hear that you aren't feeling too well. Remember me? My name is Jacques. I am the pack doctor. I want to help you feel better. OK?"

He took out a needle from his black bag. My eyes widened with fear. Oh Luna, NO! He is not touching me with that thing. I tried desperately to get up and escape. But my body wasn't moving as I wanted it to. My whimpering got louder and more panicked as he got closer. I looked towards the only one that I hope can help me. Daniel. I reached my tiny hand towards him. He gently grabs it and scoots closer to me. He looked worriedly into my teary eyes.

"Jacques, wait. I don't think giving her a needle will help her right now, it may cause more harm than good. She's so scared. Can't we give her something else, for now?"

Jacques thought about it for a second then reached in his bag and pulled out a small white stick then handed it to Daniel. Daniel leaned closer to me.

"Can I put this in your mouth? It won't hurt, I promise. Only for a few minutes. It's going to help us make you better."

I hesitated before opening my mouth a tiny bit. Daniel smiled warmly at me. I think I like it when he smiles at me. Daniel inserted the white thing in my mouth and rubbed small circles in the hand he was holding. I felt entranced by the contact. After a few minutes, it beeped. I flinched at the sudden sound and the thing fell out of my mouth.

"Good girl." Daniel said.

He handed the thing back to Jacques. Jacques looked at it for a few moments then looked back at me thoughtfully. He reached back into his bag and pulled out two small circular blue things then handed them to Daniel with a small bottle of water. Daniel took them then looked back at me.

"Can you do one more thing for me? I need you to swallow this. It's medicine. It will make you sleepy but you will feel better when you wake up. Can you try to sit up?"

I paused. What if when I'm asleep he tries to hurt me?

"I promise everything is going to be alright. I won't let anyone hurt you."

I tried doing as he said but failed miserably. Everything hurts. Daniel put a strong arm around my back and supported me. He slowly inserted the two medicine things in my mouth then poured in the water. It took a few tries for it to go down.

"Good girl. Can I lay you on the bed? It's more comfortable than the floor."

I didn't want him to touch me but I can't get to the bed by myself.

I slowly nodded my head. Daniel smiled again. He gently scooped me up in his arms.

Once I was off the ground, the room started to spin. I whimpered and buried my head in his broad chest. My hands weakly gripped onto his black t-shirt. He laid me on the newly made bed and put a light blanket on top of me. He tried to back away but I grabbed his hand again and whimpered.

I didn't mean to reach for him, it just happened.

"Everything is alright. Just close your eyes and relax. I'm not going anywhere."

The last thing I saw was his big brown comforting eyes before I fell asleep.

Daniel's POV

After she fell asleep. Jacques approached the other side of the bed and started examining my mate. Her cheeks are flushed pink. She is covered in sweat and her breathing was shallow and labored.

"Her temperature is dangerously high. Too high for a normal wolf."

I am so scared. Werewolves don't normally get sick. Our immune system and fast metabolism protects us from illnesses.

Luna, please, save my mate. I need her. She doesn't even know how much she means to me yet. I buried my face into her short badly cut black hair and breathe in her heavenly scent.

"Why won't she speak?" I asked.

Jacques was silent then pointed at her neck.

"You see that scar? Looks like it was made with a blade. It damaged her voice box, I'm guessing. I think it will heal with time."

I lifted my head and saw the painful looking scar across her throat. It hurt me just looking at it.

"I hope so. I don't even know her name."

I gazed down at my sickly mate. Nothing is more important to me than making her better. I don't care how long it takes. A male wolf can't live without his mate after he finds her.

"What is important right now, is putting food in her stomach, keeping her hydrated and bringing her temperature down. She didn't eat the soup you tried to give her, right? If she loses anymore weight she won't make it to the end of the week. Wake her up in 3 hours and give her water and some yogurt. Then have her take a shower and straight back to bed. She absolutely must not put any strain on her body."

I thanked Jacques. He bowed his head and slowly left the room. I laid my head down on the edge of the bed and prayed to the great goddess Luna to give my mate the will to survive and to be strong.