Beta

Luka POV

After Daniel left the hospital room, I went to sit down in the chair next to Hope's bed. The room was quiet besides the sound of the heart monitor.

I've been thinking a lot about Hope's health. There's something suspicious going on. She's been here with us for a few weeks but she hasn't made any significant progress.

The door opened and Jacques walked in. I've never liked him. He gives off a weird vibe. I've tried talking to Daniel about him. Daniel didn't seem to understand my dislike of him. Well, I guess this is why I was made Beta. It's my job to watch the Alpha back and keep him and the Luna safe.

Jacques seemed surprised to see me sitting in here.

"Beta, it's been awhile."

"Jacques."

He walked over to the bed and pulled out her chart and read it silently.

"How is she?"

"She just exhausted herself. She needs more rest."

Silence filled the room again.

"Why hasn't she gotten better since she arrived here?"

My question seemed to have caught him off guard.

"Well...t-the lupania h-"

I stood up abruptly. My quick movement knocked over the chair.

"You said you had the cure and that you gave it to her!"

"It will take awhile before w-"

"I know that! I don't think that you're doing your very best to help our Luna, Doc."

His face flushed with anger. His fists were clenched tightly at his sides. This is interesting. For as long as I have known Jacques, I've never seen him lose control of his anger.

"How dare you accuse m- !"

A small gasp interrupted whatever he was going to say. I turned around and saw Hope sitting up in bed. Her eyes shifted nervously between the both of us. Our yelling must have woken her up. Daniel won't be happy about this.

Jacques cleared his throat bringing Hope's attention to him. It was obvious to me he was trying to get back his composure. He wiped his hands against his pants.

"Luna, I'm glad you're awake." He said as he approached her.

He went over to a cabinet in the room and pulled out a small syringe. Hope's eyes went wide and she gripped the sheet with her hands tightly. She was clearly afraid. It could be because of the needle in his hand or Jacques himself.

"What is in that?" I asked.

"It's just a formula of vitamins and nutrients to help replenish her energy."

I was wary of him but there's no way he would go so far as to try to harm her in front of me. I nodded for him to continue. He approached the iv bag that was hanging next to the bed and injected the solution in to it. When he was standing right next to her, Hope looked as if she was about to faint or attack him. Her face was pale and she was sweating but her teeth were bared and her hands fisted. I guess he realized what was happening to her and quickly backed off then left the room.

"Luna? Are you alright?"

Her gaze turned to me. She seemed to have calm down since Jacques left the room. I guess she is scared of him.

"Daniel?" she asked quietly.

"He is outside taking care of some stuff with the pack."

"Blake?"

"He is at the daycare playing."

She looked disappointed. It made me smile a bit. I'm glad she is getting used to us and growing attached. I picked up the chair I knocked over and sat down.

"You know if you ever need anything and for some reason Daniel can't do it for you, you can always come to me and Lena for anything."

She nodded and smiled at me.