Thanks

Chapter 17 - Thanks

I was frozen in shock. I didn't know what to think. Everyone was just as shocked as me. I snapped out of it when I heard a weak whimper. I closed the distance between the loner and I. My attention focused on Hope. I quickly pulled her in my arms. She was wet, cold and barely breathing. I looked into the loner's eyes and thanked him quietly.

This is the first time that the pack has seen Hope. I could hear their whispered concerns and inquisitive questions. I decided I'll deal them later. I needed to get Hope to Jacques immediately.

"Luka, make sure the loner leaves safely."

I didn't wait for an answer as I started off towards the hospital.

Hope POV

When I opened my eyes, I was blinded by the bright lights. I immediately closed them. They were burning. I tried moving my hands to cover my eyes but my body felt so heavy. I whimpered at the soreness I was feeling all over. Suddenly my eyes were hurting much less. I open them slowly, relieved that someone had turned them off.

"Hope? Are you alright?"

Daniel.

How did I get back? What happened?

"Daniel...what?"

He walked over from the door to my bedside. I reached out slowly and gripped his hand as tight as I could. He seemed surprised but didn't say anything.

"I'm s-sorry...I"

"You don't have to apologize, Hope."

"Sorry...sorry."

"It's alright."

"W-Wanted go outside."

He ran his fingers gently through my hair. It felt so good to be touched gently by him like this. I pulled on both his hands, forcing him to lean more on the bed.

"Please...Daniel."

He settled on the bed next to me. I laid my head on his chest and closed my eyes.

"I ...sorry...outside."

"I know. I'm...promise. Hope....worried..."

I couldn't piece together what he was trying to say. My mind and body was too tired to keep up with what he was trying to say to me. It felt so good to held by him. That was my last thought before I drifted off.

Daniels POV

I held Hope tightly in my arms. She was so cold. All this is my fault. I should've just taken her outside. All she wanted was to go for a small walk. Luka could have handled Marlowe.

A small knock on the hospital room door interrupted my thoughts. Luka peeked his head in then pushed the door open and made his way in the room. He sat down in the chair next to the bed.

"Luka, did the loner leave quietly?"

"That is the thing... he hasn't left."

I frowned in confusion.

"Why not? What's keeping him here?"

"I don't know why. He isn't acting aggressive at all. He is just ignoring everyone and sitting quietly in the training field."

I carefully unwrapped my arms from Hope and slowly got up from her bed. I brushed my fingers on her cheek before heading out the door. I told Luka to watch over Hope for me while I go and talk with the loner.

I jogged over to the training field. The Loner was laying around silently. He turned his head in my direction when he heard me coming toward him. He slowly stood up. I hesitated as I approached him. He was massive. My head just about reached his shoulder. His fur was thick and dark as night. Black fur was one of the signs of a loner.

"You have my thanks for bringing back my mate to me. I will always be in your debt."

He gracefully nodded his head. I could see the intelligent mind behind his eyes.

"She is recovering right now. But I would like to know why you haven't left yet."

He growled softly then pointed his nose in the direction of the hospital.

"You want to meet her? Alright, when she gets back her strength I'll bring her to meet you. You're welcome to stay on my lands. I'll alert my pack of your stay here"

The loner nodded to me then turned and jogged off into the forest. As soon as he left, Marlowe and a few other pack members approached me.

"Alpha, the Luna, will she be alright?"