Dream

Chapter 23 Dream

Daniel POV

My mind couldn’t process what she said. I just turned around and walked right out the room. There’s no way she said that. I couldn’t believe it. There’s just no way. I needed to get away for a bit. I couldn’t focus anymore. I just need some time. My heart feels like it’s being torn apart.

Hope POV

I stared at the door that Daniel just left through. What did I say that was so bad? I’ve never seen that expression on his face before. Is it because I said I wanted to die? Is death so bad?

I jumped awake when I heard the doors to the cage creek open. It was an awful sound. The hard snap as the lock was unlocked. The screech of the rusty metal door against the hinges. It always woke me up. I also took comfort in the sounds. It also meant I was being locked up for the night and nobody was going to bothered for a few hours.

“Still alive huh?”

I looked to see one of the youngest guards at the cage door. He didn’t hurt me. He brought me food and water sometimes. I tried to lift my battered body to reach the food but wasn’t having much luck.

“You’re better off dead.”

I looked up at him confused. He crouched down and placed the food and water bowl. I liked that bowl. I didn’t like what was inside. It was red and had a little drawings all around it.

“Ain’t no pain when you die. Just a
long sleep with good dreams.”

Sleep with good dreams. No pain. Sleep with good dreams. No pain.
I try to sleep but I get nightmares as Daniel calls them or no dreams at all. I want to dream. It’s such a pretty word. It sounds like a nice thing to do. I think I dreamt once. It was a long time ago. I was above the tall green trees. My arms spread out. The wind was pushing me forward. It was so nice.
I want that dream again.