Forgiven

"I'm so sorry."

Scully looked down at him. She didn't remember how they ended up like this. Fist he had come over to her apartment to talk, and now he was on his knees, weeping.

"Mulder..."

His head was buried in between her thighs, and he looked up at her with his glossy eyes.

"Why are you apologizing?"

She put a hand on his cheek to comfort him, wiping away a single tear.

"I just... haven't really been there... for you. I was gone for six months-"
"Mulder, that wasn't your fault."
"I know. But when I came back, I was... cold, and... kind of a jerk."
"You were... But that wasn't your fault either."
"Then whose fault was it? Yours? You were- you are carrying my baby. I should've been more grateful."
"Oh God, Mulder."

She took his face in both of her hands and shook her head slowly. Mulder whimpered quietly and she leaned over to pull his head to her chest. He breathed in the faint smell of perfume that lingered on her collarbone and she kissed the top of his head.

"If it makes you feel better, fine, I forgive you. But know that you didn't do anything wrong. You have no reason to be sorry."
"But, I left you all alone. I wasn't there when you needed me most."
"I'm okay, though. We're okay."

At this, Mulder nodded, leaning out from Scully's embrace and touching his hands to her stomach. Scully smiled down at him and was surprised to feel the wetness of tears on her cheeks. She didn't realize how much she had wanted to hear his apology until she actually heard it.

"Sorry."
"Mulder, I said stop-"
"No, I'm talking to him; or her."

Scully let out a small laugh, putting a hand on top of Mulder's.

"Him."

Mulder was smiling from ear to ear, looking down at Scully's belly in awe. He leaned in close, pushing up the fabric of her shirt and pressing his lips against her soft pale skin.

"Sorry. I promise, from now on, I'll never leave you again. I'll be there to see you grow up every second of your life. I promise, from now on, we're a family."
"Oh Mulder-"

Scully was crying. She couldn't have hoped for anything so perfect, so sweet. This was all she ever wanted, and now she had it. It was a miracle.

"I love you Mulder. And I love our perfect little family."