Apology

Mulder had lost track of how many times he'd apologized; and of how many times Scully had said "It's fine."

They both knew it wasn't fine, but neither of them wanted to admit why.

When Scully had walked in on him and Detective White she had felt so many different emotions. Disgust, anger, annoyance, but above all... jealousy. She was jealous. She had absolutely no reason to be, but she was. She was really jealous. They both knew it.

And now they sat in awkward silence, driving back to the airport. They just needed to give it a day or two, and it would be back to normal. Whatever "normal" was with them, anyway.

"Stop the car, Scully."

Scully nervously looked over at Mulder, her right eyebrow raised. "Mulder, I-"

"Just stop the car."

She stopped on the side of the road, they were in the middle of nowhere. Scully turned to Mulder once again. "Mulder, what is it?"

For a moment, Mulder didn't say anything. Then he sighed, putting a hand on Scully's cheek. "Scully, about last night, I just wanted to tell you that I'm not even attracted to Detective White, I-"

But Scully interrupted him in the middle of his speech: "Shut up, Mulder."

And with those words she pulled him in close, kissing him right on his unsuspecting lips. 

They kissed like that for a while, but when Mulder's hands reached to unbutton Scully's blouse she stopped him. "We're going to miss our flight."

Although he didn't really care, Mulder sat back in his seat as Scully started driving again.

At least they knew what they were doing as soon as they got back to Virginia.