Proposal

"Commencing autopsy on David Bent. Male, thirty years old, two-hundred pounds, six feet tall. The time is eleven forty-five, date: November fifth, 2000."

Scully snapped on her latex gloves. She looked at Mulder, who had insisted on staying to watch, and made her first incision right below his collarbone. An unusual amount of blood squirted all over her protective glasses. Mulder snickered, and she turned around.

"What a great start."

After wiping away the blood, she turned back to the body, but something was strange. There was a small object protruding from the incision that she had made only moments before. It glistened in the light, almost like a diamond.

"Huh. Small object appears to have been lodged in just below the collar bone, possibly by ingestion."

She pinched it with a pair of tweezers and pulled it out.

"What in the world-"

Then Mulder was suddenly behind her, kissing the back of her neck.

"Mulder! I'm trying to work here!"

But he only smiled at her, and she continued to examine the object that was sticking out of David Bent's neck. It was a ring, what looked to be an engagement ring. Still oblivious to what was obviously happening, Scully thought about how it could've gotten in there, muttering to herself.

"Hmm."
"Maybe someone put it there."

At this, Scully whipped around to glare at Mulder, but he was gone. She looked down at her feet to see him on one knee, looking up at her hopefully. She thought about it for a second, and finally understood what was happening.

"Mulder-"
"Scully, will you do me the honor of becoming Mrs. Spooky?"

She let out a giggle, wiping the blood off the ring and holding it in the light. She was almost mesmerized by it, and forgot to give Mulder an answer.

"Well?"

Scully looked back down at him, and was surprised to feel the wetness of tears on her cheeks.

"Jesus Christ, Mulder. Of course I'll marry you."

He let out a breath that he didn't even know he was holding, and she collapsed into his arms. They had forgotten all about the autopsy, and Mulder's suit was now stained with blood. They didn't care, though. Scully ripped off the glove on her left hand and slipped the ring on. She held him tightly for a moment.

"I can't believe this is happening."
"I know."
"Why now?"
"I was tired of waiting."
"Me too."

She pulled away to look into his eyes, then stood up. He followed suite, when suddenly, Scully let out an exasperated sigh.

"Now I have to start all over again."

She turned to look at him once more, and planted a kiss on his cheek.

"It's worth it, though."