Patient

In the early hours of the morning on the fateful day that was September 10th 1993, that's when he first saw her face. From the moment he turned around and shook her hand he knew that she was special, that she was different from the others. Who knows where they would be in this moment if they hadn't been assigned to work together; probably spending New Years at home, alone, clueless as to what love really was.

But instead they were here, standing in the dirty hallway of a hospital together, and very much in love. They watched as the many people in times square danced and laughed. When the countdown came to 0 the screams of everyone yelling "Happy New Year!" was deafening, and as the camera zoomed into a man and woman kissing on screen Mulder thought: 

why not me? why not us?

He thought about that for a moment and realized that nothing was preventing them from being that couple. Nothing was preventing him from kissing her. Fuck, nothing had been preventing him from kissing her for the last seven years.

And so, he gently turned to her, and without a second thought she closed her eyes, their lips brushing ever so slightly against each other. 

When they pulled away to look into each other's eyes he could've sworn that he was in heaven, just staring into her eyes like that, it was better than anything he could've imagined.

"The world didn't end."

No, it certainly didn't, and for Mulder and Scully, it was only just beginning.