Funeral

Mulder placed a bouquet of flowers onto the lid of the small coffin. He turned to Scully, who was smiling at him with sad eyes.

"Thank you."

He walked over to her and took her hand in his.

"Are you okay?"
"Yeah."
"She's in a better place now."
"I know she is."
"Do you want to go?"
"Mm."

She looked at the coffin for a long time, imagining her daughter, laying lifeless inside of it.

"Do you need a minute?"
"Huh? Oh, no. I'm fine."

Mulder nodded at her, leading her out of the church.

~~~~~~~~~~~~

They walked up the steps to Scully's apartment. She unlocked the door and they sat on the couch together, staying in silence for a long time.

"She was so perfect."
"She was."
"She was too perfect. Too perfect for this cruel world."
"Are you sure you're okay?"

Scully had thought that she was, but now she wasn't so sure. She shook her head, letting out a sob.

"Dana..."

He took her head into his hands and cradled it against his chest.

"I know that she's better off. I know that she's not suffering anymore now. But I loved her. I still do. And I don't want to let go of her."
"You need to."
"She was my last chance. My last chance at being a mother. At having a family."
"You don't know that for sure."
"No, I do. I'll never have a family of my own. That's all I ever wanted, and now it's gone. I let it go."
"Scully, I promise you. You will have a family of your own someday. I'll always be your family. I don't care what the doctors say. One day, you'll live in a big house, with lots and lots of baby Scully's running around. And I'll always be there."

She nodded, crumpling into his arms.

"I'd like that."

AN: I promise I'll try to hold back on the feels next time! Stay tuned for more fluff and angst ;)