Chapter 12

The article went great. Rita Skeeter kept her promise and wrote a pretty impressive piece. Luna's father was quick to publish the story in the next week's Quibbler and Harry seemed pleased.

When the article finally came out, Seamus apologized for the rude comment about Harry's sanity he had made a few months back. Harry got many acknowledgements from students, letting him know they were on his side and believed him. Luna's father was ecstatic with the amount of Quibblers he was selling.

Umbridge seemed to grow only more suspicious, though.

Ron, Harry, and I were walking to our next class when Professor McGonagall stopped us.

"Dolores would like to see you three in her office," she grumbled. McGonagall did not like Umbridge and wanted to see her gone.

"What did we do?" I asked worriedly. I hated being in trouble, even if it was someone like Umbridge who was punishing me.

"I don't know," McGonagall sighed, "Just try not to cause any trouble."

As she walked away I could've sworn I heard her mumble, "Next time I'll let Peeves drop that chandelier on her."

"What do you think we did? You don't think she knows do you? I can't be in trouble! We're going to be late for class!" I exclaimed frantically.

"Hey," Ron said, putting a hand on my shoulder, "It'll be ok. She can't prove anything. Besides who cares what that old witch thinks about us?"

I nodded at Ron and tried to force a smile.

When we got to Umbridge's office almost the whole DA was standing there.

"What's going on?" they asked us.

We just shrugged.

Umbridge came out of her office wearing an ugly pink shawl over a bright pink dress.

"There have been reports that you students have been missing during break hours. All of you at the same time," she smirked as if she has already caught us.

"Yeah? By who?" spat Ron.

"The Inquisitorial Squad of course," she said with her stupid fake laugh.

"Don't," I warned Ron, as he opened his mouth to say something else.

"What's your name dear?" she asked me.

"Elizabeth Brookes," I said nervously.

"Ah, wise of you to tell your friend to be quiet. Come with me? I just have a few questions about your whereabouts," she said, her voice practically dripping with sweetness.

I cast Ron and Harry a weary glance and followed Umbridge into her office.

"Tea?" she asked, with a look that said it wasn't a question.

I nodded my head politely and took in her bright office. Their were lace doilies, framed pictures of moving cats, and pink furniture everywhere.

I sat on the very edge of the seat near her desk. She brought over a steaming cup of tea.

"Take a sip," she urged. I lifted the cup and breathed the smell of the tea in. I could detect a faint sour smell beneath the flowery odor. Veritaserum. I pretended to sip from the cup and set it back down.

For the next ten minutes Umbridge questioned me about where I had been the nights we had had our DA meetings. I made up lie after lie until she had turned red in the face from frustration. She kept beckoning me to drink more tea, which I faked, and then went back to questioning.