Chapter 18

Once we arrived back at Hogwarts we all fell back into the swing of things. Classes, studying, homework, and spells. Snape had been given his dream job and was now teaching Defense Against the Dark Arts. Slughorn was teaching potions.
In our first Advanced Potions class Ron and Harry burst through the door ten minutes late.
"Sorry Professor," they apologized sheepishly.
"That's quite alright, grab your books and sit down," Slughorn nodded.
"We weren't planning on taking potions, we don't have our books," Harry explained.
"There's some extras in the back," Slughorn sighed.
Harry and Ron fought their way to the shelves in the back and each grabbed a book.
"McGonagall made us come," Ron grumbled, sitting beside me.
"I was looking forward to a free period," Harry mumbled.
"Oh, well. It'll be good to learn some extra potions," I tried cheerfully.
Slughorn explained that we would be making the Draught of Living Death. He promised a bottle of Felix Felicis to whoever made a perfect brew.
I opened my book and began to work, but I struggled with cutting some of the ingredients.
"Use the side of the blade," Harry coaxed.
"That's not what the book says," I argued. Harry pointed to a scribbled note on the side of his book, instructing to use the side of the blade.
I tried again and to my surprise the ingredient cut easily with this technique.
Harry finished minutes before me and raised his hand.
"Wonderful job Mr. Potter!" Slughorn complimented.
I soon finished and tucked away stray pieces of hair that had fallen from my ponytail.
"Good job Ms. Brookes," Slughorn praised. He then gave me a few tips to perfect the potion.
As we left the classroom Slughorn stopped Harry and me, "You two should come to one of my dinners. I call it the Slug Club, I have a few bright students over for dinner. I would love to have you attend."
"Sure, thank you Professor," I said as we shuffled out the door.
"I want to do some research on that potions book," I told Harry. "Who wrote the notes?"
"I dunno, but I'm not complaining," Harry said, waving his newly won bottle of liquid luck. Slughorn had declared Harry the winner after his potion had shriveled a leaf.
"You coming to watch tryouts?" Harry asked.
"Yeah, I hope Ron does alright. Where'd he go anyway?" I asked.
"Probably to change into his Keeper robes. I've got to go down to the pitch. See you there." Harry waved goodbye and walked away.

Later that afternoon I found a spot on the bleachers near a girl in our year named Lavender Brown. I had never really talked to Lavender, even though we shared a dormitory. She struck me as obnoxious.
The players walked out to the Quidditch field and flew up into the air. A boy named Cormac McLaggen caught my eye and winked at me. I looked away startled. Cormac also struck me as obnoxious. As Ron and Cormac flew to opposite sides of the pitch I heard Lavender whisper, "Go, Ron!"
"Are you a friend of Ron's?" I asked her.
"No, but I think he's very cute," she giggled.
"Oh, um---"
"You hang out with him and Harry right? You think you could set us up?" She asked eagerly.
"You and Harry?" I asked.
"No silly, Ron and I," she giggled again.
"Well, I'm his girlfriend. So, probably not." I said firmly.
"Oh, well then. Don't know why he took any interest in you."
"Excuse me?"
"You always have your nose in a book."
"I'm going to sit somewhere else, have a nice day."
I moved far away from Lavender and looked at the scoreboard to see that Cormac and Ron were tied.
"Confundus," I whispered, aiming the spell at Cormac. He missed the ball and Ron was declared Keeper. I saw Lavender cheer and hit her with a Confundus spell as well.
I ran down to the pitch to congratulate Ron, but I was stopped by Cormac.
"Want to go out sometime?" He asked me, giving a smug smile.
"No thanks," I said politely.
"Come on sweetheart," he smirked.
"No! Go ask Lavender," I yelled.
"Woah, calm down!" Cormac said.
I rolled my eyes and walked further down the pitch, but Ron was gone.
Where was he?
I did run into Ginny though, and I congratulated her on earning a spot as a Chaser.
I walked up to Harry, "Great job with tryouts! Do you feel confident about the team?"
"I think so. Can't know for sure when one of the Keepers was a bit confused," he said raising an eyebrow.
"He's a git, he deserved it," I defended.

Ron wasn't at dinner either and when I got back to the common room I saw him heading up to his room.
"Ron?" I called.
"Hey, Liz. I'm off to bed," he called back, not turning around.
"Wait! Congrats on tryouts!"
"Thanks," he said glumly.
"What's wrong?"
"Nothing just tired."
"Come here."
Ron trudged down the stairs and sunk down onto a couch.
"What's wrong?" I asked again, sitting next to him.
"I'll tell you what's wrong. I'm no good. In fact, I can't do anything. My family's better than me, you're better than me, and of course Harry's better than me. Fred and George have this great shop, Bill and Charlie are crazy successful, and then look at me! I'm not destined to do anything great. I don't deserve you! I can't even buy you a drink. Here I was happy that I only failed two classes and you got all Os! You were brilliant in Potions today, and I could barely even read the textbook. That's why I wasn't around all day, that set me over the edge. Not to mention Harry! He's this great hero and I've done nothing. My best mate is the Chosen One and here I am not even able to keep a ball out of a hoop. I don't deserve to be Keeper. I'm quitting tomorrow, Cormac can have it." Ron got up and started to walk back towards the stairs.
"Ron, wait," I pleaded.
But he didn't, he walked to the dorm and I heard him slam the door.
-----
A/N: Just wanted to say that I send my best wishes to the families and victims of the Orlando shooting. What happened is horrible, and everyone should be accepted no matter who they love.
Thanks for reading!