Chapter 36

Once the Polyjuice Potion was ready and I had taken enough time to recover, we prepared for Gringotts.

I used Transfiguration spells to make Ron look unrecognizable. I enlarged his nose, made his hair longer, and made his eyes smaller.

I walked onto the beach, stumbling in the heels that Bellatrix wore.

"Wow, you look terrifying," Ron stated.

I glared at him and turned to Harry.

"Do you have the cloak?"

Harry pulled the shimmering piece of fabric from his bag and threw it over his shoulders, Griphook riding on his back.

"Okay," I said shakily, "Let's go."

We apparated to Knockturn Alley and almost ran into an old wizard hobbling along the path.

"M-Ms. Lestrange! How w-wonderful to see you!" he stuttered.

"Nice to see you too," I smiled.

"Be meaner!" Harry hissed.

"Just kidding! It's awful to see you!"

The man gave me an odd look and stepped into a store.

"You should really consider being an actress," Ron whispered, trying to hide a smirk.

I ignored him and we walked down the deserted alley towards Gringotts.

All of the shops in Diagon Alley were uninhabited and dark. Some of the windows were broken and 'Wanted' posters were peeling from the brick walls. It was frightening to see my own face on some of the posters.

I tripped on the steps leading to the bank and Ron grabbed my elbow to steady me. I nodded at him in thanks and snarled at a guard who asked if I was alright.

Trying to walk confidently through the marble hall of Gringotts, I stared meanly at all the goblins. When we stopped at the main desk I cleared my throat.

The goblin didn't seem to notice.

I stamped my foot and coughed.

No response.

Feeling actual annoyance I shouted, "Excuse me?"

All of the goblins, including the non-observant one, stared.

I felt my cheeks burn.

"Ms. Lestrange! How may I help you?" he asked.

"Don't be an idiot. I'm obviously here to enter my vault."

"Of course," he said, giving a nervous chuckle. "May I see your wand?"

Panic flooded my mind, "Why?"

"You understand, with all of the trouble recently we wouldn't want anyone breaking in."

"I do not understand, that is the most absurd thing I've ever heard."

I noticed a guard slowly walking towards us.

"I'm afraid I must insist," the goblin sneered.

"Imperio!" I heard Harry whisper.

"Ah, that's fine Ms. Lestrange, this way."

I let out a sigh of relief and followed him to a cart.

After several minutes of nauseating twists and turns, we sped straight through a waterfall.

"Liz! You look like you!" Ron yelled in horror.

"The enchantments have worn off!" I exclaimed, watching Ron's nose shrink back to its normal size.