Give Me a Break!

Some events in life are strange to say the least and the most unimaginable strangest events have to be lived through or witnessed in person to be believed.

That particular Tuesday morning had started out uneventfully just as almost all my weekdays usually do. My course schedule called for an early morning first period class, a long block of free time and then two late afternoon classes in the final periods. Convenience would've been all three classes scheduled back to back but course schedules rarely work out that way.

While walking briskly toward campus and intent upon making up time because of my late departure for the first class, I noticed a small gathering in the park I always cut through. Beneath one of the two massive ancient oak trees, people were milling about, looking up into the branches and laughing. Except for occasional dog-walkers the park is always empty, therefore something unusual must've been going on for this early in the morning. Curious to know what the attraction was I detoured over and picked up bits of conversations as I approached.

"Strange place to get laid." one remarked derisively.

"Not if you're part squirrel." a second added.

"Or a nut up a tree." a third chimed in.

"What's going on?" I butted in upon joining the gathering.

"Some stupid girl passed-out up there in the tree." a fourth person laughed and pointed upward.

"How did she get up there?" wondered the woman with a small white dog.

I looked up and sure enough a motionless young-looking woman was spread out on her back draped over a large branch that was quite high up. She was wearing a white dress that had been unceremoniously blown or pushed up, revealing most of her legs.

"Is she awake?" wanting to know more.

"Hasn't moved a muscle since I got here." the first said.

"I hope she's not dead." the woman with the small white dog worriedly commented.

"Nah... probably just drunk or high on drugs." the third responded condescendingly.

"More likely high on the tree." the first quipped and a few others chucked in response.

I kept staring at her, watching uselessly while another attempted to attract her attention by tossing a balled-up piece of aluminium foil-paper that eventually bounced off her face

No reaction at all. I couldn't discern whether or not she was even breathing.

"Maybe she's an angel who got hit by a satellite and fell out of the sky." another suggested, borrowing from a movie plot.

"She's no friggin' angel... she's a Jap." the third interjected.

Upon hearing that derisive remark and staring at her long dark hair and bare feet, I now wondered if she could possibly be that rain dancer I'd met up with a few times.