Sunrise Rendezvous

Yesterday Sonia had asked me to meet her at the first gate at sunrise. At first I didn't really believe that she was serious but she had continued to insist, even so far as to make me promise her that I'd show up no matter what.

Slowly and sleepily retracing part of the same route we'd trekked through yesterday I was now questioning the sanity of being out here just after 4:30 in the morning. Open vegetation was soaked with dew and now my footwear through to my toes was too. That wet cool on my feet must have finally awakened my head as well, because in the excitement of her scrambling to head-off her approaching angry mother, I hadn't thought to ask Sonia why she wanted to meet here.

I had no idea what Sonia had in mind for this morning so I brought my backpack and had stuffed some food and cooking utensils in it. If she didn't show up then at least cooking breakfast over an open fire could appeal to my sense of adventure; I'd done breakfast outdoors alone before.

My approach to our rendezvous point had been made quietly and upon reaching the edge of the meadow I waited out of sight behind the brush. The sun was just peeking above the horizon and I was wondering whether or not she would truly appear here as promised. Then I saw her out in the open, dancing in the grass, jumping and twirling around with her arms raised high. She was looking upward all the time, and again with that smile of pure joy.

I remained silent not wishing to disturb or distract her but she must have sensed that someone was watching

I remained silent not wishing to disturb or distract her but she must have sensed that someone was watching. She stopped, lowered her arms, turned her head and stared exactly toward where I was waiting. I was positive I was out of sight and had stayed quiet but she seemed to have this sixth sense about her.

Standing in the midst of that knee-high grass she smiled warmly, motioned at me and said, "I know you're in there waiting so you can come out now."

Astonished by what I'd witnessed and upon stepping into view, "That was absolutely amazing!"

"You don't have to go that far." seemingly embarrassed by my remark.

"Yes I do!" admiring her beautiful smile.

"Thank you... because I'm accepting your sincerity."

"Why were you dancing?"

"Exercise mostly... and to greet the sunrise." as if what she'd been doing was nothing.

"Greet the sunrise?"

"Happy for this new day and a new adventure."

"What new adventure?" wondering if she had something planned for us.

"You're here aren't you?"

"What do you think?"

"Definitely adventure!" she insisted with a laugh.

I really didn't know what to think because she'd equated me with adventure and no girl had ever said anything like that to me; not even close. Then again, she was totally unlike anyone I'd ever met in my entire life.