A Violent Storm Blows In

Several hours later we stepped into the small man-made clearing atop a high ridge where we were able to gaze northward at an unobstructed view of miles of mountainous wilderness forests. Most day-trekkers turn back from here and even before we'd started out, this location was as far as I'd hoped at best to hike today.

"Let's take a break here for a few minutes before we head back." I suggested and ready for a rest.

I sloughed-off my backpack and set it down beside one of several boulders. Sonia removed her backpack too and then fearlessly stepped over to and stood at the very edge of the promontory to survey the beautiful wilderness scenery spread out before her.

"It's so wild looking!" she exclaimed excitedly, and sounding genuinely impressed, "Let's keep going!"

"The trail becomes more difficult beyond here." I remarked from experience but I stayed well back from the edge.

"I want to go on anyway!"

"If you wish... but remember... however far we go, we'll have just as many miles to walk back later." I reminded.

"How far have we hiked?" she wondered as she flexed her left ankle.

"Are your feet sore?" having noticed that she'd rubbed and flexed her left ankle a few times already.

She stepped back from the cliff, turned to face me and confirmed, "I'm good."

"About four miles from where we had breakfast." answering her question.

"Really?"

"Look." I said, showing her my watch, "it's almost 12:30."

"Meaning?"

"Meaning we've averaged a mile about every forty-five minutes."

"Does it matter?"

"Only if you want to return around a certain time or get out of the woods before dark." I explained.

Sonia turned away again to admire the view before her and I was discreetly admiring the view I had of her. Her clothing was loose fitting as she usually wore but perspiring made her garments cling to her, revealing more of her gracefully curved shape. She was alluringly beautiful and I was captivated. As if by habit she reached behind her head, pulled off her hairband and then gently shook her head to make her long hair fall behind her. A moment later she tied her hair up again. I was expecting her to suddenly turn around and catch me gaping again, but she didn't.

Gathering my wits to focus on what we were doing and wondering if she'd ever hike again with me, I suggested, "If you're really interested in exploring further, we can come back again better prepared to go the distance

Gathering my wits to focus on what we were doing and wondering if she'd ever hike again with me, I suggested, "If you're really interested in exploring further, we can come back again better prepared to go the distance."

She didn't respond, seemingly very preoccupied again with whatever was on her mind. Nonplussed, I moved my backpack, rested it against a shaded large stone and then sat to rest.