Trial, Sentence and Exile

Two months later...

Earlier in that particular week Mac made the mistake of suggesting to Sonia that she simply ignore the strange document she had received. The print on the pages was entirely in Korean but Mac was certain it was some type of legal notice. Instantly she became very upset with him, thinking his suggestion insensitive, and angrily told him that he just did not understand her or her ways. When he questioned her and pressed for more details about the document she remained silent and only glared at him.

In silent frustration Mac turned away, left the house and retreated into the woodwork shop. He was standing in front of the idle lathe but he had not turned it on. Alone, he stared at the partly turned work but his mind was definitely not on woodworking. A few moments later he removed the face shield and tossed it back on the small side bench. In his mind Mac could hear Uncle Artie's voice warning him about workshop safety and never to use power tools when upset and unable to focus.

"What does she expect of me?" he asked himself aloud, annoyed by her moody behaviour.

He noticed she had become unusually sensitive these past several days but had no idea what the cause could be; receiving that document together with hearing his remarks was only the catalyst that had set her off again.

Mac was deliberately staying in the work shop and tackling numerous but unimportant tasks that had constantly been put off for later. He was stubbornly determined to putter around in the shop until Sonia came looking for him, assuming that eventually she would. Yes, the two newlyweds were having their first major argument.

He grabbed the push broom, picked up a small hand brush and then started sweeping up wood shavings and sawdust that littered and covered almost everything everywhere that had an exposed surface. That task was soon done. Next, he rummaged through all the over-filled wood bins, sorting out blocks and cut-offs that had been thrown in those for eventual sorting. Pieces too small or unsuitable for project use were segregated for firewood. This onerous task was also accomplished. Afterwards, he filled several burlap sacks with the rejected pieces and moved the stuffed bags over to the smaller shed that housed firewood. Much cooler weather was not that far away. Another job done but no sign of his wife.

Later on as he was pulling out short boards from beneath one of the work benches, he found the small curly maple woodblock that he had used to tease Sonia. He recalled how upset she had been with him. He also remembered her first visit here in the Nicked Sticks workshop and that she almost walked out on him then when she discovered who he was. That day she would never have remained and talked to him if he had not first begged her to listen to him apologize for upsetting her.

After reflecting, Mac placed the woodblock on the work bench and decided to go back some to talk to Sonia; apologize if that is what she demanded. She had to leave soon to make her appearance before the Gumiho Council and he did not want her to be upset and distracted because of him. He too really did not want to be annoyed and upset with her; he was planning to go with her to support her.

"Do you really have to go?" he questioned while trying to sound very conciliatory and knowing that she had already chosen to obey the summons to appear.

"You have no idea what may happen if I don't go." she stated resolutely.

"What will happen?" he asked, wondering what her response would be.

"Both our lives depend on the outcome of what I must face." she said, openly betraying her anxiety.

"Can't you tell me anything?" he probed, puzzled by her persistent secrecy, which to him was becoming an all too familiar excuse for silence.