Nicked Sticks

From the asphalted road a narrow two-rut gravel drive curved gently through a short strip of mature forest, leading into a large, mowed clearing. A well-maintained, older two story wood-framed home was situated off to her left a bit, but straight ahead was her planned destination; a nondescript weathered-to-gray wooden barn-like structure accompanied by stacks of boards, sticks, logs and firewood piled-up on the right side. Not far behind the two buildings lay a wall of dense-looking evergreen forest.

"Doesn't look like much of anything here." she assessed dismissively, totally unimpressed.

The large black on white sign over the front door practically shouted, "Nicked Sticks"

"Nicked Sticks?" she laughed, disbelieving that someone could give a woodwork shop such a ridiculous sounding name

Wondering whether or not to about-face, she hesitated with indecision, knowing only too well that Ma's lecturing would likely resume if she returned home too soon.

"A name like that name definitely doesn't inspire confidence." she dissed with a smirk and then reluctantly chose to make those remaining few steps to the shop's door.

Her knocking went unanswered but she saw that lights were on and heard a machine running. The second knock also went unanswered, and now only too eager to give up this waste of time, she then spied on the door's left window pane the small dust-covered tattered card that invited, "Come in!"

She hesitantly opened the door, ventured across the threshold, and stood inside at the doorway gazing around. That pungent aroma of wood was penetrating but welcoming. Although she didn't know why, for as long as she could remember she'd always loved the smell of fresh-cut woods; scents that were sweet and calming, and soothing calm's what she wanted right now after that argument with Ma about the Red Moon and that approaching unwanted binding.

She quickly discovered a world completely different from her first impression. Sawdust and wood shavings were everywhere as were hundreds of pieces of different coloured woods of various dimensions together with several wood projects in differing stages of completion. Clutter everywhere seemed to reign but the benches, tools and materials did appear to be logically organized in the respective work areas. If nothing else, the shop was well lit and very inviting to anyone who was interested in woods and woodworking.

In the back right corner the busy woodworker was roughing the freshly started square spinning away on the lathe; wood chips were flying everywhere. He was attired in a stained, well-worn gray shop coat, a pair of safety goggles, and a tattered baseball cap; all covered in wood chips and dust. She remained still and watched for a few moments, curious about the work going on. Soon having seen enough, she sauntered over to a work bench, picked up a short stick of birch, sniffed it and then replaced it.

                           *     *     *     *     *     *